New Betta Jumped and now Has Fungus NOT EATING

Ishkabod

I have a new Female betta and i LOVE her long fins and Colouration but She jumped out of her QT bowl durring the power outage (knocked her lid off too) She landed on the carpet and i didn't see her until i had somwhat stepped on her. I didn't squish her BUT it did some damage to some of her scales and she developed an infection. She's eating but in increasingly smaller amounts and she has white stuff constantly coming out of her as waste not what she looked to have eaten. It's white and semi transparent. I've been treating with daily water changes and Melafix and Salt but to no avail. Any suggestions??? The water i use for water changes is prefiltered so no chlorine or anything like that.

Thanks

L

I should also add that the fungus hasn't spread to more parts that just the damaged area and i haven't seen any scales fall off but some could have come off when she was on the carpet. (I feel soo baad)

Edited by Ishkabod

I have a new Female betta and i LOVE her long fins and Colouration but She jumped out of her QT bowl durring the power outage (knocked her lid off too) She landed on the carpet and i didn't see her until i had somwhat stepped on her. I didn't squish her BUT it did some damage to some of her scales and she developed an infection. She's eating but in increasingly smaller amounts and she has white stuff constantly coming out of her as waste not what she looked to have eaten. It's white and semi transparent. I've been treating with daily water changes and Melafix and Salt but to no avail. Any suggestions??? The water i use for water changes is prefiltered so no chlorine or anything like that.

Thanks

L

I should also add that the fungus hasn't spread to more parts that just the damaged area and i haven't seen any scales fall off but some could have come off when she was on the carpet. (I feel soo baad)

Try heating her up too,between 80-85 degrees. Bettas like more heat and also may hasten the life cycle of the fungus. I'm far from an expert but that's what I'd do.

How much water are you changing daily? The betta may appreciate a bigger percentage. If the wound is leaking pus the water will need to be kept exceptionally clean.

I've been doing as close to 100% daily as i can. I pour out as much as possible then i pour her and the rest into a container full of clean water then i rinse the original container with HOT water. I then fill it with clean water pour as much of the water she's in out and pour the rest and her into the clean container and water. I then add a few drops of melafix(pond concentrated) and about a teaspoon or two of salt.

Thanks for the advice

L

Saprolegnia - Cotton wool Fungus

What I would do, and always have on hand is Kana Plex Seachem product... this treats many Fungal infections, as well bacterial infects tail and fin rot etc...

I would continue to do frequent water changes, adding the salt... up the temp fungus does not like heat...

I hope this helps, fungal infections are hard to get rid off but if you started treatment in time she should be okay...

The salt and Something is working because she ate ALLOT more today and i can actually see NEW scales growing under the thinner layer of fuzz now. I think she's going to be fine.

Thanks for all the advice everyone

L

Well she was on the way to recovery and there is very little fungus left on her and the scales are almost completely healed back.

BUT BUT BUT

SHE IS SPITTING FOOD BACK OUT STARTING THIS EVENING. She'll eat something and then spit it out after chewing a bit and the food doesn't even seem to be chewed. She had a healthy appitite this morning and she kept her food down so What is happening and what can i do. I' still have salt and Melafix in the water and it is a fresh bowl as of this after noon so What else can i do?? Garlic puree saturated food??? Bloodworms??

Thanks

L

Keep doing what your doing with water changes, she might be weak from the experience. She isn't refusing the food thats a good sign if she starts to refuse food then that could be a problem.

Try some frozen brine shrimp, its a favorite and easier to eat then blood worms...

So far what i have experienced not eating = eventual Death and i want to do everything i can to be sure that WON"T happen this time round if there is anything i can do to prevent it.

--------

Thanks for the tip I'll get the Frozen shrimp out.

L

Edited by Ishkabod

Let me know if she eats that, I have another plan of action if this doesn't work :)

So far what i have experienced not eating = eventual Death and i want to do everything i can to be sure that WON"T happen this time round if there is anything i can do to prevent it.

--------

L

Let me know if she eats that, I have another plan of action if this doesn't work :)

--------

L

Well that didn't work she didn't even go near them. And i just spotted some fungus now growing bear her mouth and eye. What to do?

THanks

L