Dwarf/Pea Puffers

Fergy

Anyone know of any place in Edmonton, or any breeder perhaps, that keeps these in stock regularly?

I know Big Als usually has some, but they're currently all sold out.

Let me know what you find out; Big Als is the only place I know of.

I have them in pure fresh right now... There's conflicting accounts all over the place of what is really best for them.

The stuff I personally read mostly seemed to say they would be just fine in either.. You disagree though I guess fatpuffer?

I would recommend you going to thepufferforum.com. THey have a lot of people with years of experience re: puffers. They will do okay in freshwater for short period by eventually they will die. I have never kept any lasting more than one a few months in freshwater without getting sick. F8s are known to live up to 18 years by Robert T. Rickett (sp?). He experimented with the salinity and found that brackish was indeed best for F8.

Js

I would recommend you going to thepufferforum.com. THey have a lot of people with years of experience re: puffers. They will do okay in freshwater for short period by eventually they will die. I have never kept any lasting more than one a few months in freshwater without getting sick. F8s are known to live up to 18 years by Robert T. Rickett (sp?). He experimented with the salinity and found that brackish was indeed best for F8.

Js

Ah, ok. Thank you very much the for the info and the link! Guess my research before buying was insufficient. :blush:

Anyone know how well plecos do in brackish? And snails/clams for that matter?

Might have to move some residents around... Already have to move plants for sure now.

good idea about the nerite snails...however, it really depends of the size and temperment of the puffer. I had a puff tolerate a snail until it got big enough to crush and eat the snail. My Ceylon puffer is currently in full saltwater with snails, corals, clownfish pair, black and white damsel and a hawkfish with no problem...so far (fingers crossed).

I find that the flagfish or mollies may pick on the Figure eight.

I'm slowly raising salt content daily. I've been experimenting with the best way to do it, and I was trying with small amounts, placing the salt in the back of one of my HOB. Seems to dissolve at an acceptably slow rate that way. Any thoughts on that?

Also... I'm concerned about the beaks over growing... Currently my F8s won't touch MTS, and the pond snails I've tossed in just get sucked out...

Any secrets to get them to munch on something crunchy?