Ordering from the U.S.

t-man

I want to order a fish from the U.S. and the business said they could ship it with a certificate for $175 if I need one or they can ship without certificates. They said it was my decision! I am assuming they are talking about fish and wild life as that was one of the questions I asked them. So what do they mean in their reply? Can I have it shipped without a certificate? Why did they say they could ship without certificates? Does that mean it has a chance of being confiscated if it doesn't have the certificate?

Edited by t-man

I want to order a fish from the U.S. and the business said they could ship it with a certificate for $175 if I need one or they can ship without certificates. They said it was my decision! I am assuming they are talking about fish and wild life as that was one of the questions I asked them. So what do they mean in their reply? Can I have it shipped without a certificate?

You do not need a health certificate for ornamental fish (fish that is not meant for human consumption).

Apparently, importation of aquatic animals in Canada is the responsibility of Fisheries and Oceans Canada but is being transferred to the Canadian Food Inspection Agency, so some changes might be forthcoming to the regulations. Source.

The current regulations state that no permits are required for fish species to be held in hobby aquaria, except if the species is listed by the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species (CITES), in which case you need a CITES certificate. Some provinces have more specific regulations that require permits (such as for koi brought into BC). Source.

Unfortunately, I couldn't find a similar page detailing information on importation of aquatic plants for hobbyists, although there were a number of results for articles calling on a ban or strict regulation of plant imports because some species have become invasive (such as Eurasian Milfoil and Cabomba caroliniana).

Edited by Shai