"Gorilla" Stand for 90 Gallon tank?

punman

A 90 gallon's base is 18 inches by 48 inches.

Could I take a 4 shelf "gorilla stand" (industrial type storage unit) and take the top two shelves off and use the bottom half as a stand for a 90 gallon tank? The shelving measures 18x48.

I guess my two questions are:

a) Will it physically fit on there?

B) Can it withstand the weight?

With the one inch metal border around the stand I think I would have had the length and width to do it but you are right. The corner posts would be a problem. Just curious, could those stands have handled the 900 lb weight (in case I put smaller tanks on one)?

Has anyone recently found a reasonably priced stand this size (18x48) that would work? It does not have to be an official fish tank stand (Ikea, department store, etc), just something that can tolerate the weight.

• 2 weeks later...

I played it safe and bought a "Stingray" stand from Bigals. I put it together tonight but the only thing I found strange was that it had 8 plastic button "feet" that tacked into the bottom of the stand. They are a half inch in diameter and maybe a quarter inch thick.

To me it seemed to make more sense to not have them on and spread the weight over the 4 ft by 18 inch bottom sheet for support, rather than resting on 8 points but then they are in the fish business. This is isn't supposed to be lawn furniture. Any comments?

i have a stingray stand too, for my 55 planted, and yeah the buttons on the bottom kinda had me a little perplexed, but i put them on and the tank and stand have been fine since i set it up in March. i think maybe they are there to help with any potential slight unevenness in the floor?

The bun feet will allow the miosture that WILL eventually spill its way down there to evaporate.

Not sure if that was the intention of the design; but the explanation is logical.

that would make sense if your tank is on lino or some other smooth surface with a small space for air circulation under the base board of the stand, but for those that keep their tanks on carpeted areas then the buttons may as well be left off, IMO.

Mine is on carpet and I have not put a tank on there yet, so maybe I will pull the feet off.

Bettafish, did you put anything between the stand top and the tank?

Sometimes I don't and sometimes I do.

I might use a plastic picnic tablecloth folded in half. I used pink insulation board when I had my 180 gallon but my other 90 has nothing between the tank and stand.

I only use foam if the tank has the bottom pane resting directly on the stand. If it has the trim that keeps it up off the stand, I don't bother w. foam.