syphons

fish_man

When I worked at Petcetera, ours in the back would squirt a few feet. All we did was take a cloth or 2 and wrap them around where it leaks. Solved the problem instantly.

I don't know why it leaked... probably because the faucet was a P.O.S... but yeah, it might have been a dud.

I use a brass adapter on the faucet, and I've never once had mine leak.

Also, when attaching the pump to the faucet, you need to turn it slightly until it snugs up. If the pump portion is left loosy-goosy, it will leak.

If I understand you right it's leaking where the adapter connects with the facet? Try a bit of teflon tape to stop that.

Also one thing about the plastic drain/fill pieces is that over time, especially if you remove it often, the threads will strip and the plastic will deform. This will cause water to squirt all over from that joint when there's allot of pressure. Teflon tape will correct this too for a bit but once it gets too bad you'll have to replace it.

Brass adapter screws into tap, great connection, green unit screws in to brass adapter, great connection. My problem lies just underneath the "nut" that joins to the brass adapter. There is a lot of play and water squirts all over the place. :o I also don't like how much water is wasted whilst draining the tank, may consider sticking with buckets.

~Reza~

I use my python as a very long syphon when draining water from the tank for water changes. It drains as long as the drain end is lower than the vac end. Just get the water draining like you would with a regular gravel vac and let gravity do the rest. I run the hose out the door and water my junipers with tank water during water changes. The tank in the basement gets drained into the shower. This way I don't have the faucet running to be wasting that water. I fill it back up with buckets when doing regular water changes because there isn't that much volume and I can be sure to have the correct temp etc. When I had to fill the tanks initially, I used the python as intended...hooked to the faucet. I have the plastic fittings and the shut off valve has cracked and the threads are getting stripped....and I have rarely use that aspect of the python. I would recommend the brass fittings to start with.

Reza

Also, when attaching the pump to the faucet, you need to turn it slightly until it snugs up. If the pump portion is left loosy-goosy, it will leak.

I don't use the large vac attachment on my Python, just the hose end. It works much better on sand, and allows me to get into holes, cracks, etc.