Is this a parasite?

Noodles

Hi,

I just got these guys in this last weekend and two of them just developed this little white thing. On one of the fish it is underneath one of his scales and it is a little swolen and the other fish, a little white thing is protruding out between two scales. I have treated the tank with melafix and pimafix, and added 4 tbls of aquarium salt. The fish are still eating normal and swimming normal but I want to get rid of this as fast as possible.

The little spot above the gill is what I'm worried about.

thank you for looking

Sheldon

Edited by Noodles

It may be a parasite, or it may just be an injury. Your current regimen sounds fine - the parasite may not be susceptible to the salt until it 'hatches' off the fish.

To be quite frank with you, you jumped the gun on medication. Why would you treat it if you don't know what it was? You need to give the fish to develop immunity and fight it off itself. If you're doing the work for the immune system, it'll get lazy and then when it gets REALLY sick you basically just killed your fish off. Why would you take medicine yourself if you didn't know what it could cause or if you didnt know what you have? IMO you're more likely to kill your fish this way.

I agree with Parchromis, medicating blindly isn't a good idea. yes, medication may be necessary for this situation, but until you are certain as to what you are dealing with, dumping meds in the tank without knowing what meds to dose is not a good idea, IMO.

the picture is dark and it's hard to see what exactly is wrong with the fish. any chance you could get a better photo?

In all fairness to Noodles, treating with melafix/pimafix and/or salt isn't going to cause any long term problems with regards to immune response. I personally don't consider them to even fall under the "medication" umbrella.

Noodles - it's impossible to say with any certainty what the problem is by the size/quality of the photo.

I too, don't consider salt or mela/pimafix real medications, which is why I don't think Noodles is on a bad track.

Thanks for all the responses.

I don't have very much experience when it comes to sick fish, so i kinda jumped the gun. They both still have the spot but it seems to be smaller tonight.

Thanks,

Sheldon

Edited by Noodles