Lighting for African cichlid tank NO PLANTS

gdcox76

what are some thoughts on lighting for an african cichlid tank, no plants only rock. I need to replace the bulbs I have currently which where for a planted tank and are contributing to my algae problem I think. I have tried to search for a direction but I have received very different answers. On one hand I was informed that the low spectrum 5500K or lower is colour enhancing, and elsewhere I found mention that something over the 10K was better. Anyone care to offer some advice. This tank will never have plants in it.

I find it's a real matter of choice. Lower spectrum bulbs seem to make the Reds shine more, while the higher spectrum bulbs make the blues more intense.

It really doesn't matter what color you choose - even plant bulbs will work great. What could be contributing to your algae is the length of time you have the lights on. If the tank is in your living/family room, just have the lights on when you're in the room. If the tank is in a fishroom/basement, or if you just don't want to have to remember to turn the lights on and off, put the tank on a timer for no more than 10hrs/day.

If you are going simple with one bulb only, I like the 10 000 K.

I have a Corallife Colormax and 10 000 as a two bulb setup that looks pretty good.

I used a 10 000 K and a 50/50 on a frontosa tank that looked nice.

50/50 on its own is pretty bluish but it may be good with some fish.

I don't like the low Ks (5000 etc - too yellowish for me)