Fluval G series

snaggle

I have to disagree with you Kyle....its like comparing apples and oranges. Yes the FX5 is an amazing filter(I've owned 3 myself) but it cannot compare. The FX5 is huge and clunky, as well as it has tonnes of bypass, whereas the new G series is rumored to have none. Also, denitrification works better at lower flows, therefore this filter will also apparently have better filtration capacity. I like the idea of the pleated cartriges. Yes they may be a PITA to clean and what have you, but it'll purify the water much better than that of ordinary foam. I think it'll compare to the likes of a filter sock or similar to a diatom cartrige. Also, I think the water will get dispursed better through the bio media.

And Chris, I'd have to disagree. 1.) We have no idea how this filter will perform against a sump, 2.) Its apples and oranges again. Two totally different styles of filtration. One is high flow high capacity, one is low flow no bypass. 3.) We both know we can build sumps for cheap, but what about the general public? They might not be as crafty as us.

Just my 2 cents.

• 1 month later...

OK, so anyone know what's going on here? Site says Oct 2009 and I haven't seen one yet. I asked at PJ's today and they said they were still waiting for them, were supposed to have them already but had no news...I know someone out there must have a clue :shock:

Seen one in Edmonton today in operation, very cool. Launch date is coming within a few weeks.(Inside info) It has allot of info on the filter about the temp,state of Mechanical/Biological/Chemical filtration(how plugged or spent the filter material is)temperature graph & even conductivity etc. Looks like a very interesting filter.

rk

I'm sure it would have flown off the shelves a few years ago when the economy was sky hight but now maybe some moderate sales from people who have the money to throw away. It seems like the things most hobbiests want is cheap, reliable and easy to use. This seems to fulfill the last one and the jury is out on the second one still but only time will tell.

L

Why do people by Mercedes or Rolex watches? Because they want 'the best'.

The Fluval G is not for everyone and in reality it will probably filter the water just as good as the '05 series. For the person that is into high tech equipment (iphones, home theatre, digital SLR cameras, etc.) and wants 'the best', then he/she would appreciate the Fluval G.

The Fluval engineers are not reinventing the wheel here. They have just advanced the technology, on-board reporting, and ease of maintenance to the aquarium filtration industry. In my opinion, they are keeping up with a level of technological advancement that we are used to seeing in other industrys.

• 1 month later...

Unlike the cub tank thingie I could not get excited about I can honestly say this has a few features I have been interested in. Given how well that high priced cub has sold I could see this having good sales potential, but we will need to see once more people get hands on.

• 1 month later...