Sailfinja

sailfinja

I'm from Edmonton and have had fish of some sort since my grade 2 teacher gave me some guppies back around 1978. I keep mostly livebearers, however, a friend gave me a pair of Convict Cichlids and they just wouldn't stop reproducing (I kept giving them away to stores and finally had to give the lot away as they kept eating my livebearer babies). I joined in search of unusual livebearers. Buying fish by internet auctions is just too costly (shipping), there aren't enough Canadian auctions that I know of, and I'm not patient enough to wait for the juviniles you receive to reach maturity. I did buy some Tequila Goodeids on line from a guy in Quebec earlier this summer, and had a healthy drop of 8 fry yesterday. However the fish I bought are still quite small and I'm anxiously waiting for them to grow up.

So if anyone in the Edmonton region has unusual livebearers for sale please let me know. In fact if you have something really special I would probably even drive to Calgary to get them.

There are usually some semi-unusual livebearers at the Aquarium Club of Edmonton (ACE) auctions. The first meeting of the year is on Tuesday, at which point they'll probably decide on when the fall auction would be. You could also ask around to see who the other livebearer-keepers are.

See www.fish-club.org for details.

Edited by jvision