Starting a planted aquarium

Scuba_Guy

Wow I have been away from the forum for a couple of days and now I have so much reading to do.

Thank you so much for all the comments. I do have some questions from just scanning these posts but I want to read a few of these post more in detail as well as some of the links I have been given to read.

Thanks again for helping me with my techno-tank :thumbs:

Wow I have been doing lots of reading Thanks Werner for the link to the "Planted Tank Beginner Basics" site as I have learned quite a bit but I can see this will be a continuous learning curve :D

A drop checker is a much more accurate way to read CO2 levels so you don't accidentally gas your fish when starting out.

so I have purchased a Cal Aqua Double Check CO2 Checker (thanks condor)

You will need fertilizer!

I did buy some "TOTAL SUBSTRATE PELLETS" from AP. Could I still use these for spot fertilization?

Should I use the PPS fertilizer recipe and the PPS Dosing Calculator right on start up?

I like to have my spray-bar as far down in the tank as possible

Thanks jvision I have planned that idea into the tank setup.

soak new plants in Potassium Permanganate

I'm a science teacher so I have this right at my finger tips :D

Although I have never owned one it seems your CO2 system can be set to maintain a target PH. Is that correct? If so, I would caution you about adding any solids to the system that are calcium rich

Yes the system comes with a Milwaukee monitor/controller but I noticed that the fertilizer pellets that I bought are full of Calcium (like: Calcium Carbonate, Calcium Carbonate Equivalent and Calcium Sulfate.)

So I guess I shouldn't use these?

Which leads me to wonder... what are the dimensions of that tank?

The dimensions are 48''L x 18"W x 22"D.

If I were you, I'd add a second fixture- 4x54W should allow you to put pretty much anything in there

Ok after reading some of your thoughts about lighting I have decided to take back the HAGEN 48" GLO T5 HO and get a new fixture with 4 lights. I thought it was better to have one fixture instead of two for aesthetic reasons, only one plug-in for timer, etc.

I am looking at the Aquatic Life 4X54W T5 Light Fixture W/4-LED Lunar Lights - 48". Anyone had any experience with this light or would you suggest another light?

I did buy some "TOTAL SUBSTRATE PELLETS" from AP. Could I still use these for spot fertilization?

Should I use the PPS fertilizer recipe and the PPS Dosing Calculator right on start up?

I noticed that the fertilizer pellets that I bought are full of Calcium (like: Calcium Carbonate, Calcium Carbonate Equivalent and Calcium Sulfate.)

Yes, use the pellets for spot fertilization- particularly under plants like swords and crypts that are heavier root feeders. And the PPS can be used right from the start. Don't worry about the Ca in the pellets. It will be in minimal amounts that shouldn't mess with your water chemistry.

The dimensions are 48''L x 18"W x 22"D.

I am looking at the Aquatic Life 4X54W T5 Light Fixture W/4-LED Lunar Lights - 48". Anyone had any experience with this light or would you suggest another light?

How about Metal Halide Fixtures? are they better or worse than T5 High Output lights?

That's a pretty deep tank, so MH is certainly an option. I use 2x150W MH + 2x54 T5HO on a 120gal (48x24x24"). The fluorescent bulbs are on throughout the day, with the MH only on for a burst in the middle. (I've had this for a couple years now and kind of wish I'd gotten one with a couple more T5HOs.) With MH alone, you would have to limit the duration so you don't get an algae farm. A MH/T5HO combo light is going to be at least double the price of the AquaticLife fixture too.

You're probably best starting out with the T5HO fixture. I think the AquaticLife fixtures are fairly new, so there's not much feedback on them yet. You'll probably want to lose the actinic bulbs and get something in the 6700-10000 Kelvin range.

You might also want to look at a 6x54W fixture. You could start out using 4 bulbs and still have the option to use 6 once you have a bit more experience.

Remember, not all snails are bad in a planted tank. I wouldn't do a planted tank with out some Malaysian Trumpet Snails (MTS). Most of my tanks get snails in them as I collect plants from stores and other hobbyists, but I've never had a problem with them getting out of control. The CO2 eats away at their shells, so they never reach full size, and I am such an underfeeder that there is never the food supply for their populations to get out of hand.

I have used AP's substrate pellets, and I think they are tops! ( kinda fun to fire out of the applicator as well ). If memory serves - they are deviod of Phosphrous, so something to consider there. If you have buried the ferts, skip adding it to the water until you see signs of retarded growth. For myself with a nutrient rich substrate, if I add even trace w/ Iron algae takes over immediately

A MH fixture will only illuminate about two feet of floor. A tank as long as yours would need two. I have also noticed stem plants grow like mad up to the water line under MH lights. Once they hit the top under the bulls eye, the rest of the aquarium is frightfully dark! Pendalum fixtures are nice but stray light is blinding from the source which requires a good hood to capture. This in turn requires cooling fans. This in turn makes maintanence a chore.

I use a 400W ushio bulb for 6 hours a day in combination w/ tubes and it requires a $90.00 replacement every year. T5's are rumoured to last longer. Yes, @ that intensity the algae monster is never far away; but that being said, Green spot algae is the only kind I battle and of course it the hardest to scrub off the glass!

Green spot algae is the only kind I battle and of course it the hardest to scrub off the glass!

That's a sign of Phosphorus deficiency... add a bit more KH2PO4 and you should see the GSA dissappear.

You might also want to look at a 6x54W fixture. You could start out using 4 bulbs and still have the option to use 6 once you have a bit more experience.

Ok I'll look at that one but not sure if I can afford that now. As you can see I have spent a few dollars getting ready for this tank and my budget is getting to the limit :)

Remember, not all snails are bad in a planted tank

ok I'll keep that in mind. If you have a big snail problem could you throw in a couple clown loaches. This is what I used to do back 15-20 years ago when I had this problem in my old tanks. Or are they a conflict with a planted aquarium?

As for start up I have a 130 gallon aquaponics tank setup and I am thinking that I will rinse out the solid particle filters in the new planted tank. Will that settle and help with initial fertilization?