OMG!!!! MELTDOWN!!!!

turtlechick

Came into the shop today to find I couldn't even see into the tank. I did a 50% water change right away, only to find BOTH Eheim filters weren't running properly, and the internal filter was unplugged. Went to clean one of the filters and found that it was leaking around the bottom fitting. Cleaned it, siliconed it, and now have to wait for the silicone to dry before I can even change the other filter...What do I do?!?!?!?!?!?! Will my rays die?!?!?!?

Edited by turtlechick

The reason i ask is i fed my rays mainly frozen fish and shrimp and if i over feed it would mess up my tank very fast. Charcoal helps control the toxins in the water so i'm very fond of it with frozen foods. Is the tank clearing up at all yet?

If you use 5 times the regular dose of prime it will help detoxify the water. I've done it and it helped a lot , with frequent large water changes that should buy you the time needed. Why dont you clean your other filter so it runs properly? :smokey: Good luck.

What size of tank, Filter sizes, and how many wafers do they go through in a day??

With carbon in a filter you need to change it every month or so so you could try and alternate between filters and give one a good cleaning one month and the other the next month. Doing that should prevent this from happening again. With the Prime Be sure to read the label and make sure the water temp is at the right one for the extra dose of prime times five. You should be safe doing at least a double dose as is frequently done by many durring water changes. That'll help. the other thing you can do but mind you i know next to nothing about Rays, is to cut down or stop feeding them for a few days to let everything get back to normal. Someone more knowledgable should be able to tell you if that is a viable option. Basicly the principle is that if you don't feed them there is less waste and less toxic ammonia and what not to deal with so one or two days without food is less harmful then swimming in bad stuff.

If you filter bacteria has suffered then get some Stability.

Other than that it sounds like you are doing what you can. You said it's cloudy but that could mean a bacterial bloom and not algae or particles. If it's white you might just want to leave it for a few days. If a water clarifier doesn't work then I'm fairly sure it is a bacterial bloom and as far as i know it won't hurt the fish but should help the filter. I just did a stability test to see if it could actually establish a tank in a week. IT worked. I also had a cloudy day in the tank and by adding one extra dose of stability and waiting a day it all went clear again.

If it's green, well, water changes, and a blackout or UV filter should work and it's nothing to worry about too much.

Good luck

L

Edited by Ishkabod

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone. I Primed and Stability-ed until my little heart's content :-) Managed to get the other filter to run well enough to pull the bigger one off and clean it. HUGE POOP was clogging both of them....cool rays and aro, GRODY POOs, man LOLOLOLOLOL Everything's good now. MAjor panic for me. I always thought "it'll never happen to me" LOLOL