Surprise! Fry in the filter

Guppygirl

Filter fry  

32 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I opened my canister filter to check and clean it and was shocked to find 12 guppy fry -ranging from newborn to over 2cm. Was surprised that they were not garbled by the uptake pump? I assume that the older fry came into the filter as babies and just grew up in the filter medium. As the tank is fairly planted with pennywort, java moss, anubias nana, some frilly plant plus others there is always something that filter is sucking up and I tend to over feed a little . So they survived yippy.

Ant time I am breeding my fish I just a sponge filter so this dose not happen any more. When I wouked at the pet store the filter there was a horse trough so there was quite the colection of fish in there.

• 4 weeks later...

Just the other week I saw a pair in the filter and called the S.O. over to help with the cleaning. By the time we were done over 20 live ones were found and put back in the tank. One was way too big to have made it in at that size so he must have been there for a few weeks. One filter had most of them, oddly the one with the smaller grate.

We now have a lot of fish.

Edited by T Dawg

• 2 weeks later...