Moving advice

dpg

I'll be moving a 120 gal fresh water tank with livestock and various canister and HOB filters.

Know of any movers with experience moving such setups?

When the day comes, I plan on:

1. draining some aquarium water into rubbermaid totes, and placing livestock and filters (running) in them

2. emptying most of the tank

3. having aged water at point B to replace all the aquarium water

4. transport tank and fill with aged water

5. transport livestock/filters

6. acclimate livestock at new location

My concern is that I am basically doing a 100% water change and adding livestock into this water. Will everything be ok in terms of a mini cycle or losing livestock?

Also, I want to do a sump type system, and my main question is are cutting holes for drain/bulkhead and return advisable (tempered glass on bottom only)? And can the holes be cut with livestock in the tank?

Advice would be much appreciated.

If the bottom is tempered, not very likely, then you can't drill it or it will be little pieces on the floor.

I don't know of any way you could drill the tank with fish or anything else in it. You'll need to turn the tank over to do it.

Is there a way you can set up the tank at your new place and cycle it before you have to put the fish in?

As liong as you keep the filters active you should have a minimum of trouble. Not---no trouble--- there's always some problem to deal with. Just be as prepared as possible.

You can drill holes in the side or the back, its not as effective. The whole point of an overflow box is to skim the thinnest amount of water off of the surfce possbile, because there is a lot of detrius, enzyme, and protein buildups. IMO put the drian hole closer to the surface and just build a box around it. As for the return, put it on the opposite side on the back. Remember wherever your holes are, thats how much water will drain out of your tank. So I'd either have a large enough sump or put a 3/4" check valve on the return.

Good luck!

You don't need to age teh water... like you said, it's a 100% WC, which many people do often (especially breeders). I wouldn't recommend drilling while the fish are in it - just in case. The extra pressure of the water on the glass may have an undesirable affect.

do not drill the glass with water in the tank, the weight will crack the glass. besides, the tank will need to be cleaned after you drill as im sure the glass dust will not be good for your fish

Even if half or more water in the tank is drained?