So I want an Oscar

geleen

I have been thinking about getting an oscar for a long time, and I may be ready to get one.

I have a 3 foot, 65 gallon tank with an xp3, and would only put the one fish in there. So hopefully the xp3 and a big wc once a week will be enough to keep things clean. The substrate will be sand (I guess) with a few large rocks. I read that any plant will be toast.

I would appreciate any advice from the experts as to what to expect and what to look out for.

Where would I look to get a nice one?

Do I need to be talked out of this? :unsure:

Thanks in advance.

John

Guest Master of Puppets

I'm in the same boat as you I really want one the only problem is my filtration so I cant add anymore fish.

The tank size is alright, I'm not sure about the filtration, but instead of rocks try driftwood and make a

biotope. Oscar come from places with tons of driftwood.

John, your set up sounds like it should work. Rocks, driftwood, fake plants... it's all a matter of taste. Oscars are quite inquisitive, and would like stuff to look at and poke at. As the brute ages, you may want to add an HOB to the tank as well... he'll probably like a 4' or 5' tank when he starts pushing the 12" mark.

Hey John, I have had oscars for a while and I should be able to answer any of your oscar questions :thumbs:

65 gallons for a single oscar is great. When they are adults they produce lots of bio load and they are territorial so they should have 60 gallons of water to them selfs.

As for plants, yeah the oscar will make a salad out of them. I don't recommend you getting a oscar in a 3' tank. These are large cichlids and they need at least 4' of swimming room. Thats why a 55 gallon is recommend for a single oscar. I think its unfair to get one of these monsters and house it in a 3' tank.

as for were to get them? big als. BUT**** make sure they are brand new babys. I would trust buying anything from big als that has been there longer then 2 weeks. Look for a new shipment of baby oscars and pick one.

what to look for when buying a oscar

Check and make sure the oscar has clear eyes

make sure the fins are nice ( try to get one with no nips)

get a active one! make sure when you put your finger at the top of the tank it races to beg for food. I would chose a active one over a saulking one.

Look for any other deformities like a weird jaw or spine or whatever it may be.

Feel free to lay any oscar question on me :)

Hey,

You can get away with the 65 for a while, but as he gets closer to 10 inches he's gonna feel crowded in a 3 foot tank, and probably get grumpy, lying on the bottom and sulking. at 12 inches I had to move mine from his 90 into a 125, even a four foot tank looks small with a foot long fish!

As for sand in the bottom.....I would use gravel instead, Oscars shovel sooooo much, and the stirred up sand can end up destroying the impeller in your filter. And later once it's bigger two filters is a must.

They are awesome fish, but they are messy messy messy!

Good luck :thumbs:

Edited by murmade

i agree! messy, messy, messy! and mine is only 8 inches so far. they will pick up gravel and spit it onto the tank wall to get your attention, love to play with toys (fish safe items only!), can easily get picky about food, will recognize you and shove other fish outta the way for attention, uproot plants like you wouldn't believe, boss tankmates around, splash water out of the back of the tank, play 'big brave fish' with the gravel vac (and your hand! lol), try and jump outta the tank during feeding, etc, etc.

oh wait, maybe that's just my Gus? hahahaha!

definitely run two filters, you'll need both to keep up with an O's messiness.