My new boy...

oscarfan

I agree .

However; mixing with an Oscar; same tank. HMMMM, someone is going to lose ... my personal expierence.

Be very careful. Two differnet worlds !

Polleni are very beautiful cichlids. and not that common.

Smokey

B)

I disagree Smokey. Paratilipia sp. (formerlyPolleni and Bleekeri) are a lot like oscars in behavior. They can be aggressive, however can be quite mellow. How large of tank do you have them in?

The ones at golds are really nice congrats.

Rudy; it has been years since I owned Polleni's ( Edmonton years).

They are an incrediable species.

I did find they grew slower than an oscar and were less aggressive than an oscar, for their given age. Osacar, tigers ... are very [seem to be ] more aggressive, when it comes to feeding. Today, it may be different.

Oscars - cheap / Polleni's expensive!

Mind you, I was able to acquire some very pure species.

Smokey

B)

The tank was a 6 footer. 230 gallon. Two 1800 g/h pumps. w/150 g. sump.

I love 'em too. I have 3 right now, have another 6 "Paratilapia bleekeri Fianarantsoa green spot" coming in in the next week or so. Then, to try breeding them : B)

I have my current 3 in 2 rift lake tanks, one in a 75, the other 2 in a 110, and both tanks are doing fine for now (they are about 3" to 4"). The largest are starting to show some territoriality and I expect that to continue as they grow toward their peak at around 10" to 12". However, almost all their tankmates are about 6" haps so the haps can currently hold their own.

I must admit that I am turning into a bit of a Madagascarn fan, I also have 6 Ptychochromoides katria on the way in the same order. Now *that* is one unusual looking cichlid...

Here is a pic (bottom right):

http://www.cichlidae.be/cichlidengalerij_overige.htm

Now, if I could just find some Paretroplus menarambo at a reasonable price, my Madagascarn short list would be complete...

Hope you continue to enjoy yours as much as I have enjoyed mine. :)

David

Very Nice DCallele! I find the madagascars to definitely be unique and interesting fish.. It was funny when i was at Golds i was so overstimulated i could barely breath.. :rolleyes: but I kept going back to him and looking and couldn't leave without him.. Fascinating fish.. could be the beginning of an obsession.

J-Roc - Got the 20 buckers.. seem to get along fine so far.. I find him a very interesting fish.. colors shift on him from black to white depending on moods.

Edited by oscarfan

• 3 years later...
I know this is an old thread, but i've been researching this beautiful cichlid and am determined to have one in the not too distant future! does anybody know where in Edmonton i might possibly find this fish?

check with spencer jack, send him a email and ask if he will get them in. Also post in the buy/sell area of the forum, then someone might keep a eye out for you.