Lighting Help

The-Influence

Ok So Im Looking To Do A DIY Light For My 90 Gallon . I Stopped By Home Depot And Seen A Few But As Im Not A Electrician I Thought Id Run It Past Some Of You That May Have Made Yer Own .... The 2 I Found Was

http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/stores/...tk=P_PartNumber

And The Other One Was Almost The Same Only It Was A Checker Plate Style

And As This Tank Is In My Living Room Appearance Is A Big Deal .

But Are These Fixtures Ok Ta Use ? Is There More Too It ?

As Well I Seen At One Time Not Sure Where Tho That Someone Used Lead Lights As There Aquarium Lights Now Ta Me I Dont See This As Being A Good Enough Light Source For Plants And So On .. But If I Am Wrong Please Educate Me ...Lol

The Main Purpose Of This Tread Is

Concerns

Suggestions

What Has Worked For You

Hazards

Just Plain Input

Edited by The-Influence

Those are the easiest and cheapest way to light a tank - I've used shop lights for many years and love how inexpensive they are. If you want to get into more light-dependant plants, you may want to get 2 fixtures (what I had in my last 90 planted), but for now, 1 fixutre will be fine.

If you're at all electrically handy, you can build your own LED light bord fairly cheaply. The cheapest place to get a bunch of LED lights is eBay. I've never built one, but I've read of guys building them on different plant and DIY forums.

T8 bulbs are probably going to be less expensive - they need to be replaced every year or two. I usually go for the Daylight bulbs, myself. T5s are more expensive, but they're good 'til they burn out.

T8 bulbs are probably going to be less expensive - they need to be replaced every year or two. I usually go for the Daylight bulbs, myself. T5s are more expensive, but they're good 'til they burn out.

Are T8 bulbs sold at LFS ? Or do you know where I can find a T5 fixture ? The plan is ta hang it from my living room roof .

Just in case some of you are thinking " God this guy asks alot of questions " it because iv never been concerned with the whole light side of fish keeping

Edited by The-Influence

I just get the T8 bulbs from HD - I find they're too expensive at the LFS. However, you can get different colors at the LFS, whereas at HD you'll only get cool, warm, & daylight. T5s are not common, yet - at least not in the 48" size. I think the best place for T5 bulbs would be an hydroponics store. I've bought at All Seasons just off Whyte several times - great service! There's another hydroponics store on Fort Rd just south of the Yellowhead... and I'm sure there are others around.

Don't worry about asking so many Q's, I'm sure it's helping others who are (and will be) reading this thread.

Give these guys a call I have been meaning to do so as well and have not gotten around to it. I have bought specialty lighting for my work from them before. They won't have the "aquarium" specific bulbs like coralife etc. but I'm pretty sure any and all florescent bulbs made by Philips, GE, etc. they would have or be able to get. I'm sure if you give them the info of T5 or T5HO what length and the spectrum your looking for and they should be able to find something.

BRITE-LITE

http://www.brite-lite.com/Location.html

Calgary North

Sales Office #14, 3515 - 27th Street N.E., Calgary, Alberta, T1Y 5E4 Canada

PHONE (403) 250-3790 - FAX (403) 291-5397

Calgary South

Sales Office #18, 2305 - 52nd Ave. S.E., Calgary, Alberta, T2C 4X7 Canada

PHONE (403) 720-6877 - FAX (403) 720-8387

There is a location in Edmonton, and 3 locations in B.C I think.

Edited by gdcox76