Watts per gallon

Krystle

Is it true that if you have less than 1 watt per gallon you can only grow low light plants like anubias and java fern? I'm looking at getting a Coralife 48 Inch AquaLight T5 HO Fixture (2-39W) light, and I have a 120 gallon tank. I would have far less than 1 watt per gallon, but I was told by someone very knowledgeable that I would have no issues growing aquatic plants with it. I'm inclined to believe them, but I remember the old watts per gallon rule and wonder if it still applies? Is it different for HO lights? Thanks for any advice.

My wild bettas are in a lowlight tank covered with duckweed and I grow more than anubias and java fern. I have vals, crypts and sagittaria and they all are fine. Admittedly, they're not growing as fast as the other tanks but wild bettas don't like much light and need cover to stop them from jumping.

A 48" light should be 2x54W (there's a misprint on the J&L site if that's the light you're looking at). Even so, that's not a lot of light for a 120gal.

4 or 6 bulbs would be better :)

Thanks for the advice guys. I want to try out some of the more light demanding plants this time around, so I guess I'll just have 2 strip lights on the tank.

Is your 120 a 4' tank? If so, it'll be difficult to grow some of the more light demanding carpet plants, even with T5HO because the tank is 24" deep. IME, the carpet plants got a bit leggy with T5HO - you might want to consider MH if your heart is set on carpet plants in that tank. Your other option is to set up a shallower tank (20" or less) to grow your beloved carpet plants.

If you're wanting some of the more light-demanding stemp plants, you should be fine with 2 fixtures. Even with one fixture, you can grow quite a few plants. In my 120, I have a 2x54W T5HO fixture and I grow lots of Anubias, Java fern, Crypt. balansae and Val.

Is your 120 a 4' tank? If so, it'll be difficult to grow some of the more light demanding carpet plants, even with T5HO because the tank is 24" deep. IME, the carpet plants got a bit leggy with T5HO - you might want to consider MH if your heart is set on carpet plants in that tank. Your other option is to set up a shallower tank (20" or less) to grow your beloved carpet plants.

If you're wanting some of the more light-demanding stemp plants, you should be fine with 2 fixtures. Even with one fixture, you can grow quite a few plants. In my 120, I have a 2x54W T5HO fixture and I grow lots of Anubias, Java fern, Crypt. balansae and Val.

It is 24" deep, so I guess I'll just have to avoid the carpet plants like you said. Thanks for the advice!

It is 24" deep, so I guess I'll just have to avoid the carpet plants like you said. Thanks for the advice!

My 72 is 24 inches deep and all I have is T-5 lights. I can grow carpet plants without any problems, but I also have 5 inches of substrate so technically that makes the tank 19 inches deep.

Coralife 48 Inch AquaLight T5 HO Fixture (2-39W) light,

What about the type of bulb? I have 4 X 54watt T5 Fixture that has 2 10000k and 2 Actinic bulbs in it. I went in yesterday to get 2 bulbs to replace the Actinic bulbs. The problem is one guy said to buy the 10000K and 20 minutes later the other guy said, "No the 6000k is better because plants like the more orange/red light."

Any suggestions on what intensity is best for the plants?

maybe try 2 10000K and 2 6000K to start.

ok I'll give that a try.

Another question I am getting this "string" algae. That is the best way to describe it. Long green strings growing across the aquarium from plant to plant or plant to wood.

Does this mean there is an imbalance or something I need to do?

Yes, there's an imbalance. When I start seeing string algae, I up the CO2 a bit. If it doesn't go away, then it's usually an issue of nitrate deficiency. NO3 deficiency is the most common problem in planted tanks.