how do i store my pond lillies for the winter

fleshgear

i am not sure what kind they are. they are in plastic pot type containers. i got them from walmart.

they never flowered but they did get lots of leaves

Edited by fleshgear

You can trim all the leaves off and store them in a 5gal pail w. enough water to keep it covered. YOu can store them in your garage if they won't freeze.

Trim the bigger leaves, but leave the small ones that are about 1" long - they are there to detect the sunlgiht when spring arrives. I actaully wrap mine in 7-8 sheets of newspaper, dampen the newspaper, and wrap in several small grocery bags and put that into one big garbage bag.

They only need to be damp to survive.

I overwintered all of mine this way with no problems. Just need to check it every couple months to ensure it is damp - the paper dries out first.

Best of luck!

so if they are in a bucket with water do they need light?

what about when they come from the store, they are completly dry with no leaves at all

do they need the dormant stage?

can i put one in my planted fish tank? will the tempature change shock it? will it flower?

You don't need light if you're storing it in a bucket - it will go dormant. If you put it in your planted tank, I hope it's a big one. With the warm water, constant temp and CO2 supply, your lily will get HUGE! :w00t: