My bettas went to Seattle and I didn't!!

fishclubgirl

So I bought some wild bettas in the US(impossible or super expensive in Canada). Was coming home and got re-routed direct to Calgary from Chicago. Only problem was my suitcase with my 20 bettas went to Seattle and then to Calgary. They enjoyed seeing the ocean and wanted to see the Space Needle too!! Anyhow they went through customs without me and I got a call in the middle of the night saying" my fish didn't look so hot". Picked them up the next morning and customs had searched them thoroughly. Probably couldn't believe that I put fish in my suitcase,lol!! So all of them are well and the best part; customs found my plants and left them alone. So yes, it's possible to fly with fish!! (This is my third time and second time across the US border).

The airline called me and you're probably right. They are wild bettas and they were in small breathing bags. They probably expected pet store bettas in larger bags. Good call!!

• 6 months later...

I always declare them and it seems to get me through customs easier. Right now, you do not need paperwork on fish but that will be changing next year possibly.