Eheim 2217HELP

Ishkabod

I just picked up a 2nd hand Eheim filter and for some reason the spray bar doesn't spray like the name implies. I'm not sure what is wrong with the filter but it's making noise and if i shake it a bit it sounds like there is air inside it. I don't know if i should chance pulling it out of the tank and re starting the whole priming process again. (never done it before so i guessed how to do it so maybe there is something i did wrong) I'm at a complete loss as to what i did wrong if anything so any ideas would be a great help

Thanks

L

I just picked up a 2nd hand Eheim filter and for some reason the spray bar doesn't spray like the name implies. I'm not sure what is wrong with the filter but it's making noise and if i shake it a bit it sounds like there is air inside it. I don't know if i should chance pulling it out of the tank and re starting the whole priming process again. (never done it before so i guessed how to do it so maybe there is something i did wrong) I'm at a complete loss as to what i did wrong if anything so any ideas would be a great help

Thanks

L

Its critical that you let the filter fill up with water before you plug it in the electrical socket..The filter has to fill first, otherwise the impeller might get damaged. I don't know whether you have a manual or not, but here is a link

eheim priming link

Is there a leak anywhere? Even if htere's a tiny drip of water coming out of the filter, it is sucking air. You'll probably need some acrylic cement to fix it.

Thanks for the advice so far. It was full of water when i plugged it in. I even went so far as to make water come out of the spray bar before turning it on. I'll check for leaks but that darn cold medication is kicking in again and i'm sure i'll fall asleep any minute now so i'll check tomorrow. I do have 1 concern and that is i don't have any valves to close off flow so i'm kinda stuck. Tips and tricks and maybe some advice on a cheap diy or where i can get the valves would be appreciated. I think i'll turn off the filter and then place the outtake in a bucket and have the water flow into that for a minute or two. I didn't realize that little tidbit about any leaks so thanks for that. The webpage was helpful too so thanks again.

Thanks

Any more tips appreciated

L

I have had a similar problem with my FX5, and in my case, it was leaving the "polishing" filter in too long. Stopped flow by compressing the sponge, and created a vacuum in the filter. If you have spongy material in the filter, I'd recommend removing and replacing it.

Thanks for the info but i'm sure that's not the issue because i just set upt the filter and i cleaned it really really well too. I think it might be an air leak.

Thanks again

L