New stand tank move

T Dawg

It looks like we will be getting a new stand at a Boxing Day sale, and I want to make sure my process makes sense. Figured while I was swapping things out I will replace the gravel.

Assemble new stand.

Rinse 2 new Rubbermaid containers.

Fill containers with water and treat with prime.

Move filters and heaters to Rubbermaid containers.

Move fish and some gravel to Rubbermaid (to get hiding babies).

Guard Rubbermaid containers from cats (S.O. says no using cats as Endler population control).

Drain and empty tank.

Clean up tank, remove hard water stains(not sure how yet)

Move tank to new stand.

Move into position and level (going to use two DRIcore panels and a levelling kit.

Add rinsed/cleaned decor.

Fill with water and treat with prime.

Move fish and filters back.

Does it sound like I am missing anything?

Old stand is big flat top, new stand will be edge support. Do I need to worry about stress from new areas of support?

as long as the new water matches ph, kh, gh, temperature, etc wise it should be ok. when i moved my two 55 gals just over a couple months ago i put all the fish in a rubbermaid and buckets with 100% brand new water and they all did fine.

just make sure your filters aren't shut down for very long and the beneficial bacteria shouldn't die off any.

Edited by BettaFishMommy

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like I have waited too long. I found a crack in my tank today. In the front left corner poking just above the trim I can see at least a 1cm x 1cm x 1mm chip in the front piece of glass. The chip has not sepeated, but you can see it (thankfully) under the caulking.

So now I have no idea what I am going to do.

Edited by T Dawg

I'm sorry to hear that. I don't know if you got the flyer but Big Al's has a HUGE boxingday sale going on. 75 gallon LESS THAN 100$. You might just be in time for another boxing day deal. I'd drain that tank of yours half way or more if possible (based on fish load and size) to try and keep that crack from becoming worse before you get the new tank. If you can get it light enough there are these plastic disks you can buy at Home Depot and they work Wonders for moving heavy objects aka the fridge(on my own). and my 30 gallon tank and stand with some water in the bottom and the entire 80 gallon setup minus water. They are worth the 10 bucks and more.

Good luck

L

I'm sorry to hear that. I don't know if you got the flyer but Big Al's has a HUGE boxingday sale going on. 75 gallon LESS THAN 100$. You might just be in time for another boxing day deal. I'd drain that tank of yours half way or more if possible (based on fish load and size) to try and keep that crack from becoming worse before you get the new tank. If you can get it light enough there are these plastic disks you can buy at Home Depot and they work Wonders for moving heavy objects aka the fridge(on my own). and my 30 gallon tank and stand with some water in the bottom and the entire 80 gallon setup minus water. They are worth the 10 bucks and more.

Good luck

L

Hi Ish .... I keep looking in Big Als Flyer and dont see the 75 gallon 4 under 4100 ....I really want to see it ..... I could finally afford a large tank .... where in the fler is this add ? sorry 4 being a pain in the butt dear one ... but i miss things with these crappy eyes .... What time do we need to get to big als to scoop some of these really good deals ...I would also like to pick up a smaller tank to use as a hospital / new fish safe zone

Good luck

L

Hi Ish .... I keep looking in Big Als Flyer and dont see the 75 gallon 4 under 4100 ....I really want to see it ..... I could finally afford a large tank .... where in the fler is this add ? sorry 4 being a pain in the butt dear one ... but i miss things with these crappy eyes .... What time do we need to get to big als to scoop some of these really good deals ...I would also like to pick up a smaller tank to use as a hospital / new fish safe zone

Hi again ... I found them ... Yayyyyy I would actually be able 2 afford a home for my future electric yellows .... what time will you be waiting at Big Als ?