New To Salt Water

The-Influence

Well Its Like This ! Iv Been Doing Fresh Water For Years Upon Years But I Want To Start A Small Salt Tank With Some Reef And Maybe A Clown Fish And Maybe A Few Other Small Fish With Bright Colors .....

Im In Need Ta Know What I Would Need In Total Too Start This Up From Scratch . I Want To Start Buying The Stuff I Would Need ....

So The Reason For This Thread Is For Advice / Things You Might Have For Sale / Ideas ..... In General Everything I Need Ta Know ....Lol

Blake

You're likely to find the absolute best deals on kijiji (IMO) from people who have discovered that there is a bit more work involved than they care to exert. If you buy everything new you'll be spending quite a bit of money, but if you buy used you'll save a bundle!

The owner of Red Coral told me that for best results, start slow, if you go quickly, you'll end up with a lot of quick deaths. If I were you, i'd go a 20 gallon, it's a nice size to start out with. (IMO)

I started with a 20G tall 22lbs of live rock 1 bag of live sand 2X65W PC lights 2 powerheads and a heater. Had 2 clowns, a firefish a cleaner shrimp and a bunch of hermits and snails. It was bullet proof could grow lots of mushrooms and zoos even grew some LPS but they had to be high in the tank. Outside of a heater, salt and hydrometer this is all pretty much all you need to start......but beware you have been warned...it's highly addictive :thumbs:

You're likely to find the absolute best deals on kijiji (IMO) from people who have discovered that there is a bit more work involved than they care to exert. If you buy everything new you'll be spending quite a bit of money, but if you buy used you'll save a bundle!

The owner of Red Coral told me that for best results, start slow, if you go quickly, you'll end up with a lot of quick deaths. If I were you, i'd go a 20 gallon, it's a nice size to start out with. (IMO)

www.canreef.com is another good site. Its primarily for salties. Its a great place for livestock, live rock etc. But when you do start take your time. It takes a bit more time to set up but once you have it up and running its no more work than a freshwater tank.

When I had a couple SW tanks, I tried to buy an entire system at a time, then parted out what I didn't need/want. After a while I was net $0 out of pocket and had a 90 gal in my living room. :)

Edited by jvision

When I had a couple SW tanks, I tried to buy an entire system at a time, then parted out what I didn't need/want. After a while I was net $0 out of pocket and had a 90 gal in my living room. :)

Lol I Dont Have The Spare Cash Too Go Buy Up Complete Setups .... I Gotta Buy Things A Few At A Time .... And I Was Thinking Of Only Starting Out With A 5 - 10 Gallon Tank So I Dont Get Myself In Over My Head And Be Killing Innocent Fish ....Lmao ....

hi iam a member of canreef as well theres lots of stuff on there for sale you should find what you need there check it out your gonna end up with mts lol i started with a 10 then 30 then 50 and now 75 and soon a 130 gall the options of criters is endless with sw make sure you always reserch your live stock be fore you buy i hav made that mistake and get a refractometer there more accrate and relable i lost all my stock due to bunk hydometer instsnt ocean salt is good if you need any info i can help you out as much as i can i also hav some neon blue breeder peacocks and galaxy rasboas welcom to the salt water side hav fun good luck .

Lol I Dont Have The Spare Cash Too Go Buy Up Complete Setups .... I Gotta Buy Things A Few At A Time .... And I Was Thinking Of Only Starting Out With A 5 - 10 Gallon Tank So I Dont Get Myself In Over My Head And Be Killing Innocent Fish ....Lmao ....

Thats is a little small to have no experience when things go wrong they go wrong in a hurry in something that small

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/ probably has the best reading for nano tanks

Edited by Murminator

I'd say a 20gal is a perfect starter. A few books I've read say that it's no point building something smaller than a 40 due to water quality but if you're on top of your water changes you'll be ok. I've had a 20gal reef running for almost 2 years with almost no problems whatsoever. I found out about Canreef after I set up so I was into my system with new parts for a little over $500. Since then I turfed my skimmer (Coralife), run no sump and filter my systen through a Fluval cannister filled with live rock. But yes be warned...it is highly addictive. I have a 100gal in the works.

• 2 weeks later...