Marineland 1100 Pump

Guest Master of Puppets

Guest Master of Puppets

So I picked up one of these marineland 1100 utility pumps and I'm trying it out right now and I am very impressed. While I was doing a water change on my 75g the pump was pumping water into a big rubbermaid from my 125g and when it was full i just pumped it into the shower drain. I ended up doing water changes on 3 tanks in less than 30mins and I only got wet when the pump kept pumping water after i turned it off. I thought would stop right away but it kept going like a syphon hose. They have these pumps in all different sizes and I would recomend them to anyone with large tanks. No more sucking up fish water into your mouth and no more moving big buckets around. It took me 4 or so years but I've finally got my qquick water change system down. Oh and I think it was only around $30.

• 1 month later...

I tired of using a bucket to do water changes about 3 hours into this hobby and didnt like the water waste using a python so I went out and got one of these pumps. Mine is attached to a garden hose that I run across my basement about 40 feet to where my utility sink is. Works great to remove the water quickly. When I am ready to put water in the tanks I attach that end to the tap and remove the pump from the other end and start filling. Works great and no water wasted using a python (not that I have ever used one).

yup... still use the bucket if doing a gravel vac on occasion. Although I have tried utilizing the pump for this function as well which involves attaching it to the gravel vac tube on one end and a bottle with holes cut into the bottom filled with filter floss. The water goes back into the tank but the garbage gets caught. Still working on ironing out some of the problems but it does works fairly decent.

I got mine at big als but didnt really shop around to find a good price. Biggest problems are the tubing I have isnt very flexible and also air bubble getting trapped inside the grav vac which causes a suction lock. I dont vac as much as most people since my tanks are planted. I have mine plugged into a power bar which I can turn on and off with my foot as needed.