fx5 media

Jay Huska

well I just picked up my first canister filter, and have no idea what to put into it. I did get some bio media, carbon with ammonia remover, other than that I have no idea what to put in there. Was kinda thinking peat? Anyone fave any suggestions, and if so why? All opinions are welcome. Thanks, Jay

Carbon w. ammonia remover is only necessary on a brand new tank that hasn't cycled yet. And peat is only necessary if you're wanting to keep/breed fish that are directly from blackwater rivers (ie. wild caught from Amazon area). My FX5 currently has the sponges around the outside and pot scrubbies in the middle. I will be doing a mod in the New Year that will close to tripple the bio capacity - it will be in my Journal thread.

I think that it is to expensive to place specific filter media into the filter ie. FX5 media into a FX5 filter. All I do is pick up a couple big bags of polyester wool and stuff it into the site baskets, the tops and then place bio rings and seachem purigen into the baskets. This is what I do for all of my filters. It is cheap and works perfect. As for the polyester wool I always reuse it. It takes some time to rinse the gunk out but it always come clean and can hold a ton of mechanical waste.

Carbon w. ammonia remover is only necessary on a brand new tank that hasn't cycled yet. And peat is only necessary if you're wanting to keep/breed fish that are directly from blackwater rivers (ie. wild caught from Amazon area). My FX5 currently has the sponges around the outside and pot scrubbies in the middle. I will be doing a mod in the New Year that will close to tripple the bio capacity - it will be in my Journal thread.

I will be interested seeing the modifcation.