Serpae Tetras or other

Bluecan

I picked up 6 Serpae Tetras today and wondering if anyone else has any experience with where they hang out in their own tanks, so far mine have been cruising the bottom and i wanted them to liven up the largely empty top space of the tank as well as add some color as my tank is very grey and tan-ish between the rocks and fish i had already.......perhaps theyll work their way to the top? also any suggestions on more top-dwelling fish would be appreaciated as well as it looks so dead right now, preferably a schooling fish.. any suggestions are welcome though

I picked up 6 Serpae Tetras today and wondering if anyone else has any experience with where they hang out in their own tanks, so far mine have been cruising the bottom and i wanted them to liven up the largely empty top space of the tank as well as add some color as my tank is very grey and tan-ish between the rocks and fish i had already.......perhaps theyll work their way to the top? also any suggestions on more top-dwelling fish would be appreaciated as well as it looks so dead right now, preferably a schooling fish.. any suggestions are welcome though
Hatchet fish school at the top & they come in a couple of different colors.Just make sure you have a tight fitting lid on your tank because they are jumpers.My expierience with tetras has been that they are bottom to mid range swimmers.

i meant suggestions lol can you tell i was watching tv? ...thanks for the suggestion, I would like to have something that stays around the top though almost exclusively...if that exists doesnt even have to be schooling though i would prefet it , color and top swimming take presidence over that

Another nice "top" fish that I have been loving is the pencilfish (Nanostomus spp.). They require a bit more mature tank and prefer some plants, especially floating ones. Henry has had some beautiful ones in, and they are really loving the top of my SA tank!

I have 3 golden wonder killifish...they stay exclusively at the top. They males are bright yellow and the female is a duller yellow. Maybe, just maybe once a week I will see one of the males cruise the mid level of the tank for kicks.....then he's right back at the top.

I have 3 golden wonder killifish...they stay exclusively at the top. They males are bright yellow and the female is a duller yellow. Maybe, just maybe once a week I will see one of the males cruise the mid level of the tank for kicks.....then he's right back at the top.

I have a large community tank and I have found pearl danios to be a good fish for occupying the top layer of my tank and generally not causing many problems. They also tend to move around a lot which tends to draw your eye to the tank as there is always activity. I like the pearl danios over zebras and leopard danios as they are shinier and they are also a little bit bigger (or at least the ones I had were)

I have 8 serpae's, and 99.9% they are around the middle to lower portions of the tank. *unless going to the top to grab food. I like angels because they tend to use the whole spectrum of the tank, and generally stay in the mid to top areas of the tank. What size tank do you have? Angels will go with serpae's I had them in there for ages together, no issues.

You have to be careful and keep the lid on because they are great jumpers but I use 5+ schools of hatchet fish for my top layer in my tropical tanks with serpaes low down, wild cardinal school in the middle. The hatches come in several small but flashy species, mostly silvers but there are some great marble sides as well.

A cool looking fish but don't seem to bother anything in my tanks.

Edited by Northranger