c02 tank

Krystle

So I have a friend who can get me a c02 tank for free. I need to know what size tank I need for a 120 gal tank. Also she needs to know if it is a syphon or dry cylinder. Any help is appreciated! thanks.

Get the biggest size that will fit under your stand. I have a 10lbs one on my 58g. The size difference is just how often you'll have to get it filled up. Smaller= more frequently. But I get my 10lbs bottle filled about once a year(never really kept close track but I think 10m-1y) and it only cost 18$ to fill.

I have no idea about the Syphon/Dry thing

ps: get your friend to get me one too ;)

Get the biggest size that will fit under your stand. I have a 10lbs one on my 58g. The size difference is just how often you'll have to get it filled up. Smaller= more frequently. But I get my 10lbs bottle filled about once a year(never really kept close track but I think 10m-1y) and it only cost 18$ to fill.

Unfortunately this stand is really low, I can barely fit an XP3 under it. So the c02 cylinder will be standing beside the tank. I'm thinking a 30lb cylinder? Hopefully someone can tell me whether I need syphon or dry! lol Val I would get you one too if I could, but that might be too much to ask of her ;)

Unfortunately this stand is really low, I can barely fit an XP3 under it. So the c02 cylinder will be standing beside the tank. I'm thinking a 30lb cylinder? Hopefully someone can tell me whether I need syphon or dry! lol Val I would get you one too if I could, but that might be too much to ask of her ;)

I have no idea how big a 30lbs cylinder is but I'm thinking you'd probably want to stick to the 10-20lbs range, as the 10lbs one is already fairly big. Its too big to fit under my stand. I have to keep mine next my tank.

I have a 10lb tank and it lasts around 13-15 months - even on the 135 I had. I ran the solenoid, so it was actually only on 12hrs a day.

After looking at a few pics on Google, I think you're wanting a dry cylinder. Hopefully, one of the welders on site can give a definitive answer.

Is your friend getting you a paintball cylinder? Apparently some of them use a anti-siphon tube inside the cylinder so they get gas and not liquid CO2 coming out. Not really an issue for aquarium use, since the cylinder should be upright.

A standard (industrial) CO2 cylinder has a different fitting than an paintball cylinder, so you will need to make sure you get the correct regulator.

She actually works at an industrial chemical plant, and has access to the older industrial c02 cylinders that are a little banged up or whatever that they would normally throw away, but that still work great. So I should tell her I need a dry cylinder?