brine fish hatching or brine fish kits?!

Bluecan

I have some texas cichlid eggs that should hatch in the next 48 hours if all goes well, and i will need to hatch some baby brine shrimp to feed them, wondering if anyone can send me a link to the best directions for this easiest way to set it up at home? or if you guys know of any kits you can buy in the edmonton area....also alternatives to using baby brine shrimp for food would be appreaciated too!

hopefully i can get some replies soon so i can get on top of this

i should add, i had to seperate the eggs into their own 10 gallon for hatching as i didnt expect babies (the parents didnt go into breeding dress) and they were still in a community setting so i couldnt seperate the others...

cheers

Edited by Bluecan

last time i was at Big Al's i saw a brine shrimp hatchery. mind you, i havn't been down to Big Al's in a while, but they should still have them. on the shelf right by all the fish food, near the till.

i've seen lots of people use upside down 2 litre pop bottles. don't have the foggiest clue how to go about making it though. maybe try a google search for 'DIY brine shrimp hatchery'???

never bred/raised baby finkid anything, lol, so can't give much advice on alternates to brine shrimp, but maybe microworms to begin with? or would those be too small?

I use a plastic 2 litre pop bottle with the bottom one-fifth of the bottle cut off. That becomes the base with the other four-fifths of the bottle inverted into the base and the screw top stays on.

I stick an airstone into the bottle with a cheap hang-on-back heater to keep the water at 80F.

Eggs hatch in 24-30 h and I siphon off the shrimp.

I use the inverted 2 liter pop bottle method and add 1/2 tsp. baking soda, 1/2 tsp. epsom salts and 1 tbsp. pickling salt for my best hatching results. I have found that adding the bicarb and epsom salts really prolongs the survivability of the nauplii in the hatching container, allowing harvesting up to 48 hours post set-up. Microworms is also a great alternative to bbs. that is easy to culture and feed.