Flower ray pics

African_Fever

Finally took some new pics of my flower rays. The rays are a pain to try to get a decent pic of in the tank they're in, and they just photograph so much better from above, so I figured it was time to trial the new camera and really see how well it works under water (Olympus Stylus Tough 8000).

The rays have darkened up a bit since I added the black tiles two weeks ago, but my darkest female has always been as dark as she is. Their colours are washed out a bit as I added an extra 6' T5HO last night for the pics, but will try to get some pics again today without the additional lighting to show their true colours a little better.

Large female, she's about a 12-13" disc. She's been this dark since I brought her in almost 2 years ago. She hasn't grown as much as the others because she's had feeding 'issues' in the past, but lately has actually been eating more and more and really starting to keep up with the others.

post-45-126409049493_thumb.jpgpost-45-126409050449_thumb.jpg

My smaller female, about 10-11" disc. I received her from Charles at Canadian Aquatics last August, and she's grown a solid 2" since then, possibly even more.

post-45-126409053985_thumb.jpgpost-45-12640905502_thumb.jpg

Large male. He's grown from a 5" disc to the 14" disc he's at now in the time I've had him, and has a full tail, something that isn't seen too often on flowers. He's always eaten like a champ, and though he's 14" (and over 26" TL), his claspers haven't even started to develop yet. He's never been very dark, but his black has really been coming in lately and I don't think it'll be too long before he really turns it on.

post-45-126409056298_thumb.jpg

Other male. He's about a 10" disc, and also has a full tail. He also came from Charles last summer, and has always been the first one to the food and always seems to have a full belly (though he'll always eat more!). Funny thing is his claspers right now appear to be larger than the bigger male. Would be cool if it meant he was starting to develop, but I've never heard of a flower developing anywhere near the size he's at.

post-45-126409057427_thumb.jpgpost-45-126409058429_thumb.jpgpost-45-126409059681_thumb.jpg

The whole gang.

post-45-126409060727_thumb.jpg

For anyone interested in this type of rays who doesn't know, they grow huge. From what I've heard/seen, males don't often develop until they're at least 16" disc, and they'll probably top out around a 36" disc - meaning they could easily be over 6 feet with their tail. Mine are going to get an upgrade in tanks as soon as I move in the next couple months (even that, at 4'x8'; will only be temporary), with their eventual home planned to be a large indoor pond.

Wow they look great Kyle, the darkest female is amazing. I'm glad too finally see some pics up of your collection. I'm really suprised your males haven't started to role yet tho I thought they would be very comparable to my tigers.

Don't see many flowers around so it's always a treat to see some of your pics.

Mike, true flowers are only found in Colombia. My original pair is from my first Colombian order almost two years ago; out of 8 flowers that I brought in, only these two survived (and it wasn't for a lack of effort either). All I brought in that time was a bunch of marble motoros, flowers, and I think the odd tetras/feeders (unfortunately it's next to impossible to get any big cats out of Colombia).

A couple more pics of my big male. He's really darkened up today so I figured I should jump on the chance at get some pics that really show his colour. His orange isn't nearly as vibrant as my big female, but his black is just about there at times like this.

post-45-126410747246_thumb.jpgpost-45-126410751296_thumb.jpg

Scott, how large are your tigers getting now, and how rolled are they? I think we need some more pics of them too!

My tigers are probably around 20-24" and have been rolled for awhile but haven't added any length after they rolled so I'm thinking they're still not fully mature. I would love to put them in with my female flower but can't arrange any tanks to do that yet......I think.