Threadfins are wasting away!

kelseylynn

Over the past month or two my threadfin rainbowfish have been getting skinnier and skinnier. They are still interested in their food and finishing it each day, so I don't know why they look like they are starving. I feed flakes (crushed very tiny to fit in their mouths!) and baby brine shrimp. My water parameters are all fine and I do a 20% water change each week. I've already lost one and would like to save the rest if I can. Does anyone know what it might be?

Yeah, probably internal parasites. NLS Thera+A might help, but you may have to go with medicated food, or food soaked in medication.

I had this before and I took action when it was too late. Check carefully to see if there are any worms hanging out from the anus of the fish. If your fishes are infected with Callamanus worms, then you might be able to see the red worms hanging out. When fish have callamanus infestation, they will slowly stop eating or take the food and spit it out. If yours are still eating, then the infection is not in an advanced stage. Treating with some internal parasite medication is the best option.

I've been watching for worms, and until today I never saw any hanging out. Today there seems to be an enormous pink worm, over 1 cm long, hanging out of my healthiest threadfin. It looks nothing like Callamanus worms to me (I had an outbreak of those in some guppies once, and ended up having to euthanize). I'll try to get a picture of the worm after I post this. I've never seen anything like it. Any idea what specific medications I can use? My research seems to be turning up brands that are only available in the States.

I think you need Flubendazole to clear up any internal nematodes. However, your fish is still eating, so you can get some medicated food that contains Flubendazole and Levamisol. Levamisol is for callamanus and Flubendazole is for other internal worms. I had bought a pack of medicated food from Big Als that contained these medications, but my fishes never ate the pellets. So, I had to order the meds from Charles Harrison in States. I can give you the name of the medicated food in the evening.