Increasing wattage from my hood

Fishypoon

I have a 33 gallon tank hood that has a fairly weak looking fluorescent tube. I was wondering if there's any way I can convert that into incandescent and then I could fit 2 of those wonderful compact and energy efficient fluorescent bulbs that fit into normal incandescent sockets? I guess a good starting point for a 33 gallon would be to have 90 watts of lights (approx?) so if I could get two compact fluorescent, that would be 120watts!

Any help would be appreciated!

If it's one of the old 33 gallons (hagen) that takes a 30" bulb and you are converting I would suggest you switch to 24" bulbs as they are cheaper by far than the 30" which are only available in pet stores (as far as I know).

I'd highly recommend going with T5's. They've got them at Bumper Crop Organic Gardening which is a couple blocks South of Pisces on Edmonton Trail. I found that one blulb is all I really need over my tank, but bought way more than that just in case I ever decide to go crazy on the plants. Make sure you get the VHO's rather than the HO's as there is a big difference.

I went to Bumper Crop organic shop and I must say I was absolutely satisfied with their service and with my purchase. They even helped me out clean my light hood and install the new t5's! Definitely would recommend any fish hobbyist looking to get more light to go there.