my first closeups

Baos

Thanks to Strayner to explaining to me a little bit about the shutter speeds. Turns out my camera has an active light meter that tells me if I have sufficient light for the fast shutter speed.

My Centurion. I view them as a yellow convict though they breed less.

centurion.jpg

This is the butterfly L52 I got from Harold. You'll notice it doesn't have it's stripes here and instead has adapted a chameleon colour.

butterflyl52-2.jpg

Edited by Baos

Nice Centurion! What type of camera did you buy?

It's an hp photosmart r817. You can get them cheap off ebay these days. I bought a broken one off ebay for $30 and swapped parts with one that was in my house fire to get it working again. For regular everyday use it takes great pictures for the amateur. However aquarium wise is still a work in progress.

I believe iso speed was set to 400 on the top one and 200 on the bottom one.

it looks like it would be opposite of what you said. the higher the iso the more "noise", but even at 400 that is not very high and shouldn't have much noise

but that could have just happened with the resizing. did you use a flash? sometimes you can use a flash if you take a picture at an angle to the glass then you wont see the flash reflection in the glass

i just read about your camera. and it said that 400 is the highest setting. so maybe that is where the noise is coming from. also dont use the digital zoom. only use optical and then if you want you can crop the picture on your computer. were these picture taken with the digital zoom? that could also cause the appearance of noise

also it said that one of the downsides to this camera is its excessive noise in some photos, so it might just be the camera as well

Edited by fleshgear

Awesome centurion.

What fleshgear said about digital zoom is accurate. Digital zoom is just 'artificial' optical zoom. What that means is that once your lens cannot physically zoom any close r to a subject (maximum optical zoom), it will crop the maximally zoomed image to make the image larger and appear closer, at the loss of quality (digital zoom).

If you'd like, the next time I get some free time away from school I could probably drop by and take some pictures for you if you'd like.

I'm just trying to learn how to take better pictures so I can more easily share things I notice. I have a female if she'd stop getting angry at me with the camera who's just outstanding. I was having some trouble with reflection on the glass due to being close to an outside window. I used no zoom at all actually. I told the camera to auto adjust focus based on center item(I don't quite understand the manual focus because it pops up a weird black and white window in front of the view). I also found a setting called 'av' which automatically adjusted my shutter speed for the allowed light. I cropped the picture in photoshop and added some brightness to the otherwise color flushed picture. Unfortunately I lost the blue tips on the fins. My water is also filled with lots of tiny bubbles.

That picture is set for super macro and I can only do it if the target is about 1" in front of me. In the other pictures the fish are actually on the far side of the aquarium.

Edited by Baos