Sand

timbruun

So I just picked up some expensive black sand. Only needed the one bag so it's not too bad I guess. It's the Carib Sea Tahitian Moon sand. It comes in water in the bag and says it's instant aquarium and no rinsing. Should I still rinse it? Or just add it to the rest of the black sand in my tank.

If it comes with water, then I guess the water contains beneficial bacteria. Although what kind of beneficial bacteria is a big question. I had read somewhere that the bottled bacterial solution that pet stores sell to immediately cycle your tank are not the true nitrifying bacteria.

I think you can straightway add it to the tank, but just to be sure, put some in a pail and then add water and see if you get a dust cloud.

just a question.. Why did you buy the bag with water in it? Aren't those more expensive ?

Raj

I had bought Tahitian moon sand without water from BigAls. cost me 30 bucks for 14lbs or so and I had to rinse it for 30 mins or so..

The tahitian moon sand is the actual sand, the particles are true sand sized particles, whereas the fluorite is more coarse (at least the fluorite that I had bought)

Edited by catshanon

To tell you the truth I have heard nothing but bad experiences from people that bought sand with water in it. If you think about it anyone can add water to some sand or rocks and say its cycled for your tank. I had allot of people tell me that if they added it to there tank with the water in it the water was really dusty and you will end up with a clouded tank. And I have also heard that once you add the bag of water your ammonia rises to really high levels.

(Think about what would be better for you fresh cooked potato's or the white flakes that come in a box that you just add water to and they are ready to eat! LOL)

I would recommend you rinse before adding and cycle your tank the right way.

To tell you the truth I have heard nothing but bad experiences from people that bought sand with water in it. If you think about it anyone can add water to some sand or rocks and say its cycled for your tank. I had allot of people tell me that if they added it to there tank with the water in it the water was really dusty and you will end up with a clouded tank. And I have also heard that once you add the bag of water your ammonia rises to really high levels.

(Think about what would be better for you fresh cooked potato's or the white flakes that come in a box that you just add water to and they are ready to eat! LOL)

I would recommend you rinse before adding and cycle your tank the right way.

I Agree With Al ! I Bought The Same Stuff And It Clouds The Crap Out Of The Tank ! And Oddly Enough One Of My Peacocks Died the Same Day ... Cant Say For Sure If It Was The Sand But Are You Willing Ta Take That Chance ? Lol....

I would say that they are probably the same the one for $1 more might probably be made from a different company or they claim to have something else added like water conditioner or something.

Just be sure you did not buy the sand "already cycled for saltwater" if you are adding it to a freshwater tank e sure to rinse it very well if it is for saltwater sand. I'm not sure if carib sea makes this for freshwater tanks i know there is a company making it for freshwater aquariums but not sure what one is. I have only seen the black sand sold in saltwater mixes so far.