Tapioca-like Gel Substance around base of Plant?

My3KidsDad

I noticed tonight after inspecting the 29g. community tank a gel-like substance around the base of one of our plants. Could it be a egg batch or something? The fish seem to be ignoring it.

Probably bad news? Like a 1000 snails tomorrow?

Can recommend some fish or donate one that could help with a snail problem.

I was gonna ask what kind of fish would like to snack down on some snails? If you have a spare I think I could find him a good home..

There are some nice little Botia spp (loaches) that are good for eating snails. If you start adding CO2, you won't have too much of a problem - I've never seen adult snails in a tank w. CO2 b/c I believe the carbonic acid eats away their shells.

One of the best ways to keep snail populations low is to monitor your feeding. If you overfeed, you will have lots of snails (you can tell which tanks of mine get lots of food b/c there's lots of snails!); if you keep feeding to a minimum, you will see some snails, but not what I'd call a snail problem.

You all are gonna get a kick out of this...... I decided to remove the "offending gel" only to discover it was the plant's original sponge wrap lol. Apparently either I or the fish had uncovered the wrap around the base of the plant that I had left on when planted.

Thanks for all the info, and sorry for wasting your time.

bill.