Lighting on open top aquarium

Kronosdelsol

I've had a regular flourescent tube short out due to water getting up into the connections. This was the result of the bubbles from my airstone coming to the surface and popping shotting tiny drops of water over the inside of my hood. I would recommend some sort of covering over your lights or glass tops for your aquarium just for piece of mind.

If you want to protect your fixtures, pull the tombstones out and squirt a little dab of silicone. I've used light fixutres, uncovered, over open-top tanks for years. Some have gotten a bit rusty and some have a bit of a hard-water build up, but they still work. The only time they've stopped for me is when I'm doing work and am not careful, and they fall in.

Thanks for the responses and suggestions. I want to grow some plants emerse but the other problem is that my tank is 24" tall with a plastic rim. I currently use a glass on the top with a cut away in the back for the filters and wires. I guess one option would be to lower the water level. But it would be nice to just raise the lights into a canopy and have a glass cover in the canopy for protection.

New question: Has anyone had luck raising the T8/T12 lights about 6 - 10 inches up on a 24" high tank? I just don't think the plants at the bottom would get enough light intensity. My lights are currently sitting on the rim/glass top.

Edited by Kronosdelsol

I as well have used lights for years with no covering. Never had an issue until I put them too close together without enough cooling and blew the circuit. Upon closer examination I also found some parts where water may have arced across. I never sealed my tombstones.

Most T8/T12 fixtures have holes so that chains can be screwed to them. You could suspend the lights from the ceiling, or just build a canopy that allows enough clearance for your plants to grow out of the tank. Just screw your fixture right to the top of the canopy.