Plant Newbie

ChakaRaka

Hi Everyone,

I have been patiently cycling my tanks for the last month and today I decided I had had enough of the fake plants, and that it was time for both driftwood and some living inhabitants (before the fish). There was a sale at a very reputable LFS, so I took some before pictures, got in the car and resigned myself to buying some new plants.

I ended up getting 2x 4 different plants to get our two tanks (10g & 6g) started, then go from there if additionally filling out is required. We ended up with some variety of potted Anubias (2), some type of bunch Cryptocoryne (2), some sort of bunch Vallisneria (2) and some strain of bunch Java Fern (2) which I plan to attach to a piece of driftwood in each tank.

Now seeing as I am still cycling, my temperature was a little high, so I dropped it down. Lighting is what it is (2 CFL 15w 50/50's in the 10g and 12" Small Full Spectrum flourescent tube in the 6g). Now I know my lighting will limit things and that can be pursued as necessary in the future. What I really need to know is any other critical advice. Planting tips, trimming and other maintenance. Now I am not new to plants, just aquatic ones, so I know the fundamentals. I just need to know the unique secrets to aquatic success. I am using regular colored gravel as a substrate and did purchase some Seachem Flourish in to assist until I have fish making natural ferts (or if I required it despite the real bio ferts). Could anyone offer some pointers so I don't do anything wrong here? The plants are clean and from the best local source (so I am not worried about nasties or snails etc). Right now they are in a bucket of tank water while I remove my fake stuff, plan out layout and wait for the tanks to cool a bit. I will replenish with cooler water when I get them all organized so temp should work itself out. Any other pointers?

Thanks for your assistance,

ChakaRaka.

well.gif

Sounds like you've got a good mix of low light plants, which is good. :)

I think for Anubias you can't plant the Rhisome (I read somewhere that it will rot away if you do cover it) and that you should either attach it to driftwood, or a rock or you can just anchor it down and let the roots bury themselves in the substrate...don't know if it's true, but I just anchor mine down.

Vals will melt if you use too much Excel, so I've heard. :smokey:

crypts do not like to be moved around too much, so once you plant them, try to keep them there. and some times crypts can "melt" from being moved. this doesnt mean they are dead, the leaves are dead but the rhizome of the plant is probably still ok. and new leaves will re grow

sometimes for anubias i will push the roots into the gravel and leave the rhizome above the gravel. they seem to be fine like that.

sometimes valisneria can be picky and sometimes it will take off like a weed.

java fern and anubias and crypts are some of the best beginner plants there is. you could also try a hygrophilia that is also a fast easy plant to grow.

once you get fish in there i would not vacume the gravel i could damage the roots of the plants. also the stuff in the gravel is good for the plants

Thanks for the tips. Now I have a problem, I was picking out plants so fast I am still trying to remember if the 4th plant type I got was a Cryptocoryne or Hygrophila.

The Anubis is for sure Anubia Nana, the Vallisneria is still of unidentified species and so is the Java Fern.

I will post before and after pics and maybe someone can identify them more specifically. Mental note, write down what I am getting next time. Although in my defense only 1 plant was labeled and for those of you familiar with Nature's Corner, I was just so trusting in the source I really was not asking too many questions. My only real criteria was that they be good for low light and a beginner.

ChakaRaka.

huh.gif

I wouldn't worry too much about the names. When you post picks, Henry may even chime in to help (with Gillian telling him what's what. :) ). You're off to a great start, and probably won't have to upgrade lighting with the plants you have. Anubias can be planted, but like it was mentioned, you don't want to burry the rhizome - it can be attached to wood as well. I have some Anubias that has completely covered wood - I attached it around 10 yrs ago. :)

if you had Henry and/or Gillian helping you out you're off to a great start!

other good plants to look at are onion plants and their relatives. i picked up an onion plant quite some time ago and it is doing well under just 40 watts with no ferts other than fish poop. got a couple of the onion plant's relatives, but can't recall the exact name (see, we all do it...... lol!). wisteria is a nice easy one too. if you are looking for larger plants you might want to consider a couple swords. echinodorus 'rose' is a nice one, doesn't get too terribly big, and if it is 'happy' it will sprout the most lovely red leaves. i have one of them in my tank, gives me a new bright red leaf at least once a week lately.

Well here are the pics:

6 Gallon - Before: (Filter for 3rd tank hanging from thread. Was initially hoping to bio it up while cycling this tank.)

6Gallon-Before-1.jpg

6 Gallon - During (Bare):

6Gallon-Empty.jpg

6 Gallon - After:

6Gallon-After.jpg

10 Gallon - Before:

10Gallon-Before.jpg

10 Gallon - During (Bare):

10Gallon-Empty.jpg

10 Gallon - After:

10Gallon-After.jpg

I still have driftwood to add (which the Java Fern will be attached to). And hopefully the plants all thrive and I can post some even better updated pics when the plants are fuller and the driftwood is in place. Hope this looks as good as I hope it will. Now I've got a 2-1/2 gallon pail full of fake plants and decorations....maybe for the 3rd tank.

ChakaRaka.

cheers.gif

i'd be getting those plants out of the pots and let them spread roots in the gravel. from my experience, leaving them in the pots leads to root rot, since the root ball is so scrunched up in there. as well, the ones wrapped with sponge and 'tied' with the metal will be happier if spread out more and planted into the gravel too. this is not applicable for the anubias, of course.

i'd be getting those plants out of the pots and let them spread roots in the gravel. from my experience, leaving them in the pots leads to root rot, since the root ball is so scrunched up in there. as well, the ones wrapped with sponge and 'tied' with the metal will be happier if spread out more and planted into the gravel too. this is not applicable for the anubias, of course.

Then you lost me...the only plants in pots are the Anubias. The others bunched with foam were unravelled and planted either in a smaller bunch or independantly. The only ones (besides the Anubias) that are still in a bunch are the Java Ferns and that is because I am soaking the roots/driftwood that I will be attaching them to in a few days. Good eye, but I think you are just seeing the lead weights that I left on a few until they root themselves securely into the substrate.

ChakaRaka.

w00t.gif

those are cryptocorynes, maybe undulata or bekettii

Sweet, I thought so...thanks for the help. Maybe if they grow a bit I can narrow that down for sure. Appreciate it.

ChakaRaka.cheers.gif

you would be better off to take the weights off of the crypts so they dont get disturbed later on. you could also spread out the crypts a little more if you wanted to. but it wont hurt them to leave them bunch up like that either. your gravel is a little bigger than the ideal size. and it might be hard to keep some of the plants rooted, but it can be done.