Flowerhorn at big als

rED O

I was at big als today checking out what they had because I have not been there for a while. At the end of the cichlid section near the desk, there is a stunning flowerhorn in the 40 gallon tank. They are asking $500 bucks :shock: Apparently, it came from one of the ACE members. Does anyone know who it came from exactly?

Thanks!

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

-roll- -roll- -roll-

$500???

-roll- -roll- -roll-

first it was $1600 for a pearl ray

then it was a $460 for a baby tigrinus

now its a 500 for a flowerhorn

whats next? 150 dollar betta's!!!

Edited by hybrid

-roll- -roll- -roll-

$500???

-roll- -roll- -roll-

first it was $1600 for a pearl ray

then it was a $460 for a baby tigrinus

now its a 500 for a flowerhorn

whats next? 150 dollar betta's!!!

:well: I have never owned any of those fish before... That tig is really cool, its been there for a while. Also, what in my post says anything about me wanting to drop $500 on a flowerhorn? I also rarely buy fish from big als, just look. I asked if anyone knew who it came form. I would love a pearl ray! you gonna buy me one hybrid?

Edited by rED O

i was commenting on the ridiculous prices that are placed on these fish...

NOTHING TO DO WITH YOU BUYING ONE,,

ohhhhhhhhh. Yeah thats why I don't buy fish form there. They give you 1/3 of what they sell it for. So if they are selling it for $500 they only paid $150 for it, or less. :boxed:

Hmm i may have to go check this fish out. The FH's ive seen there so far have been labeled with random strain names that dont exist and were way over price for their quality (or lack there of), i agree seems to be a reoccuring theme. Your best shot at a high quality FH is to import from asia, but im sure u wont get on that REDO...not for a "filthy hybrid" :P

A few years ago, my father was in Thailand visiting some family and while he was there he found some "high quality" Flowerhorns. My father fell in 'love' with them and decided to buy 4 of them. Two of them cost about $800 each and the two smaller ones cost $600 each. :shock:

$500 doesn't sound so bad eh? :smokey:

Business making profit, that's just criminal?

LMAO!

I mean really, the nerve of them, and with all that free rent, free utilities, and

staff that work there for free. :rolleyes:

$500 is certainly not a ridiculous price for a high end FH, Dennis at Golds told me that he turned down 2K for one of his display FH's. Not saying that the one at BA's is a show specimen, but in the grand scheme of things $500 is not exactly big money for some of the premium FH's out there.

Business making profit, that's just criminal?

LMAO!

I mean really, the nerve of them, and with all that free rent, free utilities, and

staff that work there for free. :rolleyes:

$500 is certainly not a ridiculous price for a high end FH, Dennis at Golds told me that he turned down 2K for one of his display FH's. Not saying that the one at BA's is a show specimen, but in the grand scheme of things $500 is not exactly big money for some of the premium FH's out there.

Yea they can get very pricey, but when the price doesnt reflect the quality that's where the issue with this comes in. That is pretty funny about the "business making a profit " comment, but i dont think that he was suggesting that they shouldnt make enough to pay their bills, as well as a profit at all, just feels that they are consistently overpriced, and i agree. Of course I realize we all have the choice to purchase from them or not though.

I can't comment on the quality, as I haven't seen the fish. Justin referred to it as "stunning", in which case $500 may or may not be a fair market price. Certainly there are "stunning" FH's that sell well over the $500 mark.

As far as being overpriced, I think one has to make a clear distinction between being overpriced, and/or sold at higher margins than other stores. What some people may feel is overpriced, may be the bottom line for a store with such massive overhead as BA's.

Unless you have personally sat in the captains chair of a large chain store, I think that it's impossible to truly understand how difficult it can be to make a real go of it in the aquatic business. If it makes anyone feel any better, what extra $ they are making in Edmonton, they are most likely losing just as quickly in the Calgary location. :)

Edited by RD.

I have seen this flowerhorn and he is spectacular. He has a very nice developed hump, very thick body and TL is about between 8-10 inches. I'm positive whomever brought him in probably only got a fraction of what he is worth. If you look on Aquabid flowerhorns half its size are anywhere from 90-450 dollar US and then there is the shipping and transhipping charges on top of it.

As for overhead, there is definitely overhead for fish stores, you get DOA's, food, medication etc so I'm pretty sure their bottom line is not as high as you think.