Ordering from the USA

geleen

I have been ordering supplies from the U.S. for at least the past 15 years. That includes the times when the exchange rate was up to 43% - yes 43% - and it was still less expensive than buying here. Of course I buy in big quantities as a rule because I go through supplies like you can't even begin to imagine. You must have an idea of what retail prices are here 1st before you go and buy across the line as lots of supplies here are not worth buying there. Take aquaclear filters for example - less here than bringing them in if you know where to go.

I can save you a lot of grief and aggravation - DO NOT use UPS ground shipping. I have good success with USPS Priority International which is air freight with delivery by Canada Post right to your door. Get a shipping cost from the supplier and what they quote is what you pay. No nickel and diming after the fact. In most cases you won't even pay GST but don't tell anyone I told you that or Customs will be picking on me. LOL Clearance by the way is expidited and normally doesn't take more than 2 or 3 days tops.

Get a cost on their ground shipping to compare but there again there may be extra charges that are definitely not incurred with the air freight. That is the reason you pay a little more with the air - all inclusive and you know exactly what you will be paying. The only thing not covered is of course the exchange.

Hope this helps John.

Just a FYI to add to Harold's comment, generally speaking there are no 'extra' fees involved with USPS ground either. Yes, you may get dinged with GST, but there will be no brokerage fees when shipping via USPS.

Just keep in mind that not all items enter Canada tariff free, no matter how they are shipped, including via USPS Priority International. It depends entirely on the item/s, and where they were manufactured, as in if they fall under the NAFTA agreement.

Many do, but certainly not all.