Horned Nerite Snails

Wingin' It

Today I noticed that my Horned Nerite Snails are laying eggs all over the glass...but i've read that the eggs will only hatch under Brackish water conditions. So...I did some looking, but I guess i'm really slow today, so I was hoping someone could direct me, in laymans terms, how to go about setting up a 1.5 gallon tank with brackish water just for the snails. Directions in like table spoons would be great! I'm not a technical person, and simple is usally best ;) Thanks for any help!

Oh...almost forgot. Is there any kind of acclimation process that I should be doing in order for the snails to go from FW to BW conditions or can they just be 'plopped' right in? I'd hate to kill the little guys since they help me out with all the algae and all. :smokey:

Edited by Wingin' It

Horned Nerite Snails are tidal and can take a lot of salt. I'll pretend there is nothing else in the tank.

You want to add salt during a water change. Mix the salt in the new water first, then add the salted water to the tank.

The good news is brackish is a range as apposed to an exact number. Basically 2 table spoons of marine salt (not aquarium or table salt) should be a safe add, but if that doesn't help you can take it much higher for the next batch. A hydrometer is a needed investment if you want to play with brackish of salt water.

Here is an article on brackish conditions http://badmanstropicalfish.com/brackish/brackish.html that is kind enough to talk teaspoon.

This article on your snails http://www.wetwebmedia.com/ca/volume_4/V4I2/Brackish%20Systems/brackish.htm covers habitat.

Here is a general article on brackish snails http://homepage.mac.com/nmonks/Projects/FAQ/8b.html

Goodluck with the breeding.

I think i'm going to start the small Brackish tank after the auction...maybe there'll be some cheap left over Marine Salt and hydrometer there. :shifty:

I was talking to one of the associates at Pisces and they say that theirs are reproducing regularly in their display tanks (which aren't brackish) but I don't remember seeing large numbers of them in their tanks. Either way, I have a bunch of eggs in the FW tank right now, and when I set up the BW tank the adults will go in there to see if they will reproduce.

I think i'm going to start the small Brackish tank after the auction...maybe there'll be some cheap left over Marine Salt and hydrometer there. :shifty:

I was talking to one of the associates at Pisces and they say that theirs are reproducing regularly in their display tanks (which aren't brackish) but I don't remember seeing large numbers of them in their tanks. Either way, I have a bunch of eggs in the FW tank right now, and when I set up the BW tank the adults will go in there to see if they will reproduce.

I'm sure if not you could talk someone into bringing you 6 tablespoons of salt to the next meeting.

• 7 months later...

Sooo...I didn't end up setting up the tank right away, but at the last CAS meeting Vince mentioned wanting to try it and I had the tank and the snails and the salt...so boom...it went up in a jiffy. I started adding small amounts of marine salt. Today, looking at the tank and WHOA, they actually laid eggs. I'm crossing my fingers that something positive happens...if not, then oh well, just another learning experience right?! LOL

Sooo...I didn't end up setting up the tank right away, but at the last CAS meeting Vince mentioned wanting to try it and I had the tank and the snails and the salt...so boom...it went up in a jiffy. I started adding small amounts of marine salt. Today, looking at the tank and WHOA, they actually laid eggs. I'm crossing my fingers that something positive happens...if not, then oh well, just another learning experience right?! LOL

breeding nerite snailsheres the link, towards the bottom is the experience of the one who did it

Edited by vince0

• 1 month later...

Did you just drop the snails into the SW tank, or did you acclimate them over a course of time? Or, were you able to harvest the eggs and put them in the SW tank?

Very cool!! :thumbs:

the snails laid the eggs on a small internal filter so i put the whole filter in the sw tank! i really, really hope they live and grow!

thats awesome! Im glad that you got them to hatch! Can I call dibs on some of the babies once they grow? lol