"Freshwater" (HA) Eel

trogdor

Bought this so-called "freshwater" eel from Big Al's several months ago.

He is now in a brackish tank and very interested in food (wasn't in the beginning)!

I am wondering if the "feed as much as he'll eat in a few minutes" rule applies to eels?

He eats chopped up prawn, smelt and krill. And I'm pretty sure he just ate 20-30 guppies!

• 1 month later...

I had a fire eel about 2 years back, she started as a Juvenile in fresh water but its recommended to take them to a light to medium brackish as they get older. early on my eel ate everything I gave her.. but I began to break it up over a couple days, added a few minnows and ghost shrimp.. within a few months she had learned not to eat everything at once and I could just stock her tank as needed for food - she never seemed to over eat, just stopped eating after a few minutes on her own.

some other Fire eels and Peacock eels my friends have seem to just gorge then stop on there own before over eating.... maybe we got lucky, but maybe take it slow with it. if it looks like shes bloated wait 2-4 days before feeding her again, then break down to light amounts...

hope this helps... if anyone else has different experiences - please add to them

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I had a couple of swamp eels as a kid. I could leave Guppies in the tank because they tended to stay higher in the water. They would last a couple of weeks. On the other hand goldfish were a terrible mistake. Because they would frequent the bottom, the eel would catch anything that came by, eat out the stomachs, and then leave the carcas. It was absolute annihilation. It wasn't like the little bugger was hungry either. Eventually dried tubifex worms did the trick, but I would have to pierce the worm cube with a metal dowel to sink it for the eel to go and get. He would not come up to the top.

I have my self an albino senegal bichir (My favourite) and a Delhezi. They're quite the characters but from my experience they will eventually stop eating when they're full and not stuff themselves. Maybe I was just lucky but they did it from the time I got em, they'll just leave the excess and won't bloat themselves, and if I used any feeders they'd eat them as they could catch them. Things like Danios and guppies seem to give them a little more trouble as their quicker, but like said earlier if it's slow moving it's chow in seconds. My eels are too slow over predators to really overfeed themselves. Mine also seem to LOVE worms, like they destroy them, specially the wigglers :)