Aquarium stock calc

snaggle

I found this on a forum out here in Toronto, I think it is well done and he is adding more to it all the time.

http://www.aqadvisor.com

That link is fantastic. That get's best link of the month in my book.

Seems I am over stocked on Endlers, but no warnings and it looks like it agrees with my water temp and water change selections. If I guess at the unfettered population in the fall I need a new tank!

I've been playing with adding differnt fish and most of the warnings seem resonable. I like the level of detail it adds when it does have a warning.

Very cool link. I have warnings for all my tanks but mostly just because I have 2 tanks with a common pleco in each with my cichlids and it doesn't like that. I did notice that the FX5 filtering power wasn't adjusted like the rest to the 65% capacity, any reasons?

Very cool link. I have warnings for all my tanks but mostly just because I have 2 tanks with a common pleco in each with my cichlids and it doesn't like that. I did notice that the FX5 filtering power wasn't adjusted like the rest to the 65% capacity, any reasons?

Not sure, would definatly like to know more about the underlying calcs. The small tanks seem weighted. It says 33 Endlers are 100% stock for 15G, and 140 for a 90G (linear would be 200).

Hi guys,

I am the one who created AqAdvisor. If you have any questions, please let me know - will gladly answer them. :)

Initially, I populated 65% of the full capacity in the capacity box but I changed this because some people didn't agree that I should take 65% (I am doing this to be conservative). So now, the box displays 100% capacity but internally it still uses 65%. This applies to all filters, including FX5.

Not sure, would definatly like to know more about the underlying calcs. The small tanks seem weighted. It says 33 Endlers are 100% stock for 15G, and 140 for a 90G (linear would be 200).

You can ask me more specific questions if you like. It really is based heavily on reverse engineering. I came up with a general formula to calculate bioload but hundreds of actual stock suggestions I collected from different forums have been tested against. To give you an idea, each species has more than 40 independent attributes, one of which is the length. Weight for each selected species is calculated and used as part of bioload calculation. This alone, wasn't enough because not all equal length'ed fishes feature the same bioload hence I have another attribute called "bioload factor" which allows me to adjust individual fish net bioload levels. Its just a matter of time before I can nail bioload of all species. At times, users will let me know that I am off with some species. For most common species though, I am pretty comfortable with what it reports.

Bioload was the easy part. Compatibility is something else. I essentially have 800x800 matrix which allows me to describe the compatibility between any species I have in DB. Since there are too many cells for me to populate manually, I have bunch of general rules to help populate them. And I can define exception rules (both positive and negative kinds) to override any results derived using these general rules. In other words, if you can describe the behavior between any two fishes using plain English, I can probably code it in the app. The most challenging part is to find the knowledge itself! No web site on the net contains all the info I need and no single person knows all 800 species to this level of detail. Hence I am relying on users giving me feedback - especially the ones that say "AqAdvisor is wrong because.....". Then I can go and correct them.

I can go on forever, but I think the best way is for you to ask me more specific questions if you have any. :)

As I mentioned before, I am here to look for feedbacks. Constructive criticisms are great too! I am especially interested in hearing AqAdvisor reporting "wrong" results - those are relatively easy to fix.

*waves at yhbae* Nice to see you here too. : ) I've posted in your thread at Age of Aquariums.

If anyone else here is curious, here is the ongoing thread on AoA which will probably answer a lot of questions. : )

Hi yhbae, I have seen the thread in AC as well and have played with it lots. Pretty impressive and I commend you on all your hard work and research. I havent checked it out lately though.

Thanks. laugh.gif

It is a lot of work but it is also very rewarding when I see people use them and helping them out on this hobby. A lot of people are helping me out though - I can't possibly do all the research alone... laugh.gif

For others: If you have any species that are missing in AqAdvisor or see any results AqAdvisor report that seem wrong, please let me know. I will fix those!

Edited by yhbae