Aquarium stock calc

snaggle

Well it's good news for me on one front... I"M NOT OVERSTOCKED

The bad news is that most of the fish i needed to put in i had to use substitutes for. I had about 3 pages of warnings. Mostly concerning Mr. Blue and the fact that i mixed Mbuna, Pecocks and My Laprologus Brevis Sp. Ikola Sunspot and my timid Red Jewel in one tank. All these things i knew but I think i need to move Mr. Blue and problems solved. If that doesn't work then this wonderfull thing has given me a good guideline to follow.

thanks for the link i'll try it next time i set up a tank.

The bad news is that most of the fish i needed to put in i had to use substitutes for. I had about 3 pages of warnings. Mostly concerning Mr. Blue and the fact that i mixed Mbuna, Pecocks and My Laprologus Brevis Sp. Ikola Sunspot and my timid Red Jewel in one tank. All these things i knew but I think i need to move Mr. Blue and problems solved. If that doesn't work then this wonderfull thing has given me a good guideline to follow.

You are not the first person to tell me that they ended up with 3+ pages worth of warnings. Those are quite a fix, I have to admit. laugh.gif

AqAdvisor is conservative so it may report a lot of warnings. If you understand each one and have a plan to deal with it, it might be ok. As an example, if it tells you "fish xxx will become food for fish yyy", then either let me know that it is wrong (then I'll fix it in DB) or do something about it, as in the long run, you will loose the smaller species. laugh.gif

Which species do you own that are missing in the list?

• 3 weeks later...

You are not the first person to tell me that they ended up with 3+ pages worth of warnings. Those are quite a fix, I have to admit. laugh.gif

AqAdvisor is conservative so it may report a lot of warnings. If you understand each one and have a plan to deal with it, it might be ok. As an example, if it tells you "fish xxx will become food for fish yyy", then either let me know that it is wrong (then I'll fix it in DB) or do something about it, as in the long run, you will loose the smaller species. laugh.gif

Which species do you own that are missing in the list?

hi there,

I am still accepting new species into AqAdvisor. If you could let me know what's missing, I'll look into it. happy.gif

A very cool and much needed tool. From the info I submitted I felt that the warnings were completely in line with what I knew I shouldn't be doing (not enough of a few species... I keep a fair number of rescues) and the stocking rates were much more in line with reality than anywhere else i've seen. Nice work! One question. Has there been any discussion of how planted aquariums may affect bioload (e.g., reducing nitrates, providing surface area for nitrification) and the numbers of fish that can be maintained. Thanks for all your effort, it will benefit many fishkeepers.

A very cool and much needed tool. From the info I submitted I felt that the warnings were completely in line with what I knew I shouldn't be doing (not enough of a few species... I keep a fair number of rescues) and the stocking rates were much more in line with reality than anywhere else i've seen. Nice work! One question. Has there been any discussion of how planted aquariums may affect bioload (e.g., reducing nitrates, providing surface area for nitrification) and the numbers of fish that can be maintained. Thanks for all your effort, it will benefit many fishkeepers.

Thanks. :)

Yes, support for plants have been discussed frequently. The only issue I see at the moment is how to ask users to enter what and how much of each plants they own. Going by strands or weight seem too vague. I am open to suggestions in this area...

I would say the easiest way to obtain an estimate would be species, % substrate coverage as viewed from directly above (with example), average height above substrate/objects, and average plant density (low, med, high with illustrations). With a number of truths using low to average lighting, a conservative estimate would likely be possible. This would be a good start, later/if necessary other elements such as rate of CO2 addition, extact lighting, hours of lighting, etc... could be added if good truthing data could be acquired.

Thanks for your efforts

Dean

I would say the easiest way to obtain an estimate would be species, % substrate coverage as viewed from directly above (with example), average height above substrate/objects, and average plant density (low, med, high with illustrations). With a number of truths using low to average lighting, a conservative estimate would likely be possible. This would be a good start, later/if necessary other elements such as rate of CO2 addition, extact lighting, hours of lighting, etc... could be added if good truthing data could be acquired.

Thanks for your efforts

Dean

Saved your comments - your comments sound sensible. I'll consider them when I am ready to look into plants again.

Thanks! :)

The inclusion of plants would be a massive undertaking. I look forward to new developments.

How to quantify?

Other factors affecting plants.

• soil temp
  • soil ph
  • soil CEC
  • soil depth
  • light spectrum
  • efficientcy of reflector ( practicaly unmeasurable)
  • potassium or phosphourus 'greedy' species
  • luxury uptake
  • local water parameters
  • appropriate temp - species specific
  • mineral salts formula
  • calcium:magnesium ratio
  • surface turbalance

Better you than me! So many ( obscure) factors to be considered.

Some of the values 'ideal' amounts or values are still debated

Everyone has a different idea of plant density; what is a heavily planted tank ?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...