looking for plans for a diy rubbermaid filter

fleshgear

i have been searching the internet for a diy pond filter for a while now, i have seen a few good ones but i was wondering if anyone else know where to get some ideas from.

i was thinking about using a rubber made container that will be above ground and the water will fall into the pond. i might make a little rock water fall or something like that. i was thinking about using around the size of the 68L rubbermaid bin. i just got a new pump that has a Flow rate @ 1 ft: 1,325 gph. it was cheap, other wise i probably wouldnt have gotten such a big pump. my pond is about 200 - 300 gallons.

i was also wondering about keeping the pump in the pond or in the filter. i am thinking it is probably a better idea to keep it in the filter.

now what could i use as a prescreen thing where the water will come out of the pond and not get plugged up. i dont know what they are called.

here is one website i found. i would keep the water exit at the top of the filter

pond filter build

what do you think about one like this? what changes would you make? i wouldn't use the lava rock. i would use bio balls or pot scrubbers

any good ideas for the mechanical filtration pads? i liked the furnace filter idea

and should the bin be black ideally? to prevent algae growth in the filter? could i paint it or suround it with something?

Edited by fleshgear

The only thing i can think to add that i know for sure is that you could build a rock pile around the container and have a thin slab or two over the top so it`ll be accessable when needed. For a screen for the filter well the only thing i can think of is just that a screen(from a window) the newer ones are plastic so it should be safe.

Happy St. Patricks` day

L

i have been searching the internet for a diy pond filter for a while now, i have seen a few good ones but i was wondering if anyone else know where to get some ideas from.

i was thinking about using a rubber made container that will be above ground and the water will fall into the pond. i might make a little rock water fall or something like that. i was thinking about using around the size of the 68L rubbermaid bin. i just got a new pump that has a Flow rate @ 1 ft: 1,325 gph. it was cheap, other wise i probably wouldnt have gotten such a big pump. my pond is about 200 - 300 gallons.

i was also wondering about keeping the pump in the pond or in the filter. i am thinking it is probably a better idea to keep it in the filter.

now what could i use as a prescreen thing where the water will come out of the pond and not get plugged up. i dont know what they are called.

here is one website i found. i would keep the water exit at the top of the filter

pond filter build

what do you think about one like this? what changes would you make? i wouldn't use the lava rock. i would use bio balls or pot scrubbers

any good ideas for the mechanical filtration pads? i liked the furnace filter idea

and should the bin be black ideally? to prevent algae growth in the filter? could i paint it or suround it with something?

Edited by Ishkabod

I went a little different route. I had the prefilter and pump in the pond. The water was pumped into my filter and using PVC pipe had the water coming out on the bottom. The water then percolated up through a layer of gravel, then a layer of sand. I left room for several inches of water then overflowed into the pond. I also grew marginal and floating plants in the filter. Both the pond and the filter were wood sided and lined. It worked great. I used the same concept for and indoor pond of 300 g. as well.

Here's some pictures. The filter is on the right.

post-3205-126886299967_thumb.jpg

post-3205-126886306266_thumb.jpg

post-3205-126886315914_thumb.jpg

post-3205-126886319772_thumb.jpg

I went a little different route. I had the prefilter and pump in the pond. The water was pumped into my filter and using PVC pipe had the water coming out on the bottom. The water then percolated up through a layer of gravel, then a layer of sand. I left room for several inches of water then overflowed into the pond. I also grew marginal and floating plants in the filter. Both the pond and the filter were wood sided and lined. It worked great. I used the same concept for and indoor pond of 300 g. as well.

Here's some pictures. The filter is on the right.

what do you use for filter media?

what do you use for filter media?

The media was gravel and sand. The sand also has a polishing effect. You can see in the pictures the water clarity.

what about the prefilter? to take out the large organic material?

for mine i was thinking about not having a prefilter, more of just a basket to keep the end of the hose in so the fish dont get stuck to the hose and to prevent large things from blocking the inlet

The basic function of the prefilter is to protect both the fish and the pump. It stops anything getting sucked into the pump which might damage or plug it. I used a Laguna prefilter shown here: http://www.thepondoutlet.com/home/tpo/page_1858_235/laguna_powerflo_mechanical_underwater_filterprefil.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=base&utm_campaign=ponds

If you don't have enough surface area on the foam it clogs and has to be cleaned frequently. I think the basket idea would work if you don't get much crap (leaves, blossoms, etc) falling into the pond.

Skippy's bio filter. Just Google it and you'll find their page. Detailed info on building one although if your pond is 200-300gal you might be able to downsize into a smaller tub (their smallest filter is 75gal). I'll be building a 100gal version for my pond in the very near future.

i have made one, i would say 10 gallons the only problem i had. i cut all the peices to fit into the container when it was empty. and i fill it up with water and now the parts are too small. i might redo it with a stronger container. i will post some pics when i can.