need advice on large tank set-up

Bandi

I just bought a large tank with an over flow sump filter set up thingy...don't know squat about them. I have only ever had canister and HOB filters. The overflow compartment in the back corner is filled with bio-balls. they look all scummy...do I wash them?

What do I need to know about getting the sump ready. I imagine I need to clean it??? The tank was set up and running until three days ago. Just got it home today.

Any advice please...

If the bioballs have dried out, then there's no bacteria left on them, may as well give them a good rinse. Depending on the configuration of the whole thing, you may want to set it up with mechanical fitlration first, then biomedia; however, many people do it the other way around. The first way just keeps your biomedia cleaner, longer. You do want some kind of mechanical filtration before your pump, so that it doesn't get gunked up. Sumps are a great and easy way to get loads of filtration on a big tank.

First of all congrats on your new tank!! How big is large. I am also new to the sump thing and I would recommend it to everyone. Lots of good posting out there, check out "Booms", stuff as he has a few good links there. The only thing I wish I would have done differently is setup a drip systems, as well. Right now I am doing about 150 gallon WC every 3 days.

Like Jason said, need a good mec system before your pump, you may want to look at filter sock, which I a have recently learned about.

Good Luck

The tank is a 240 gallon. Thanks for the positve words on sumps, my husband and I are so over whelmed with all the connections we have already considered removing the overflow, plugging the hole and getting an fx5 or two. But perhaps we will bridge the knowledge gap and learn about this sump. But what do I do about the sump tank underneath? Do I need clean it?

Can you give me some web links on info about sump set up and maintainance.

Yes, the tank came with all tubes, hoses, pump and bio balls to get it up and running, once we figure out how to plumb it back together. Hee. Hee.