Additional Fluval problem

EowynJane

I had to go on a trip for business and didn't get a chance to set the filter up before tonight. Everything is hooked up and looks good but I can't get it to prime :( I think part of my problem is that I didn't follow the directions exactly and tried to prime it at first with the output under water. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions to get it going? I don't remember having this problem with my first one.

I always get it all set up, then suck on the output hose and start the siphon. This should fill the filter and the output hose. Quickly hook the output hose back up the spraybar and plug in. Sometimes I have to give it a suck once plugged in to get it going.

I usually fill the canister with water, take the intake hose off at the U tube that goes into the tank, fill that up with water and hook it back up. Then plug it in and give the canister a b*tch slap or two to knock out air bubbles and away she goes, it allways works for me. I have 3 of the old school fluval 303's, and that's how I get them going.

I'll see if I can get it filled, what do you mean by ball in the intake? This is only my second fluval.

There is a ball inside the intake strainer that makes a seal so it can be primed. I have read some people take this out as they feel this impedes the water flow.

See: http://www.petmeister.com/item1329.htm

Also pictured intake filter ready for use and apart

post-3205-126945774769_thumb.jpg

post-3205-126945776016_thumb.jpg

I'm missing that little bottom piece and the ball! I feel like a nitwit, that would be a problem. I noticed it wasn't on the intake when I hooked them up but didn't think to much of it, often products can be a little difference when purchased at different places/time. But if it needs that piece to prime then missing it would be a big problem. I was sucking on the output like crazy, not fun with a sinus infection, and just couldn't figure out for the life of me why it wouldn't catch. :chair: Ggggrrrr! Does anyone know where I can get those pieces?

Edited by EowynJane

• 2 weeks later...

I have grown to dislike my fluvall. It seemed everytime I had to stop the pump, it had a hard time restarting. I have since gone to a enheim, which I love, way better. But what i found worked with mine was to take apart the impeller, clean it and put it back together. I even replaced it once. Hope this helps

• 3 weeks later...

I still can't get this filter to work! It sounds like it's running, it feels like it when I put my hand on the cannister, but nothing comes out the output! I'm thinking I'll have to take it apart and look at the impeller but I really have no idea what to look for. Anyone?