2200 gal Ray tank build

skynoch

this is nuts, and amazing. Definetly interested in the filtration as well good job, cant wait to see it filled up as well

I really should have done this awhile ago. I've freed up about half my time on maintenace

Nice job Scott! Great to see pics. Keep them coming. Great job on the build.

Thanks more to come for sure

now lets see some pics with Rays in there.

looks like you'll have to get a snorkel to get in there are clean that thing.

what kind of filtration are u using on that monster?

lol just a few more rays to go and another year for the juvies and then hopefully I'm done. Snorkel cleaning coming

Too bad its meant for Rays.

I think fishclubgirl and I could stock it fully with "RARE" livebearers.

She could probably completely aquascape it as well with those jungle tanks.

Although finding a Coralife big enough might be interesting let alone the fert and flourite costs.

I see why I keep to my mini nano tanks in comparison.

It really is an amazing build - I give you tons of credit.

I would love to see pics once stocked. My co-workers would be in awe.

Our basement at work is big enough maybe the Vet hosp needs a swimming pool / tank.

I wish I could have plants with rays but they tend to rip then up and move them around. I gues the lighting bill would be pretty high

on a planted tank this size but probably not as high as my ray feeding bill,lol. I think the vet hospital would for sure benefit from one.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:drool: WOW!!! :thumbs: My old Gourami looks like a small one in that monster tank! Now I am jealous as my 450 is nothing compared to that!! Can you come to my house and build one for me? LOL

Your gourami seemed alittle small at first but hit another growth spurt and is looking alot bigger. Now that you keeping all those rays you may need one.lol

That is very cool. I would love to work out on that equipment in front of that tank all day.

How did you setup your plumbing for water changes? How do you clean the walls on a tank that size? Using pool brushes?

I'm actually freeing up some time again to start using the equipment and setup the equipment I had to take down earlier. For the water changes I use a drip system with hot/cold water which goes through one sediment and 2 carbon filters, while the drain line from the tank and the pool filter are 1.5" and tie into my existing dain lines.

i would love a tank that size. would like to know what you have going as a filter? did you use glass or acrylic? you said you sealed it with liquid rubber Zavlar did you have any problems adhering the front. i read i dosn't stick to glass to well and silicon dosn't bond to well to it. i could be wrong i have not working with it. i'm building a tank and always looking for options

I used acrylic for the front and had some problems sealing with the zavlar due to the front wasn't as striaght as I hoped and the zavlar was't as thick as it needed to fill in the gaps.

?Just wondering is where can you get the rubber zavlar? What is the cost of it as well. I am thinking of doing a big build and would love to source that out

I picked up the zavlar from greene enviromental in Calgary.

all i can say is..... drool.gif

kudos man, great job!

thank you

OMG that is amazing Scott. You take this hobby to another level. How does having a heavy load like that affect the foundation of the house? I always wanted to try something like this for my large aros but too afraid. If you don't mind me asking how long and how much did it take to build this tank.

What do you charge for the price of admission

Thanks

Raymond

No problems with the foundation since the weight is pretty spread out. I wasn't in any hurry to build and just did pieces at a time and at times I woudn't do anything for a month or more so it took over a year to do but could be done in a few long weekends. The cost was around the 10k mark for everything to get it running and the build. It could be done cheaper without tiles, smaller viewing windows and building your own plywood sump.

lol, admission is always free

That is just amazing! Wow!! I am also curious about the filtration. I can't wait to see it with rays in it

Thanks

WOW!!!!!!!!! My Jaw Dropped when I scrolled through the pictures!! That is awesome, to make the money back from the cost of this tank you might wanna think of teaching scuba diving or something in your tank haha.. Very nice build I can't wait to see it's friendly inhabitants!!

Haha, I just had to show my girlfriend the pictures and told her I'm doing this in our house she laughed at me and walked away.

Ps. Did anyone else see the reflection of you standing without a shirt!! Looks of things your should have kept the gym!! Totally kidding man couldn't resist!boxing.gif

Some equipment shots. Very simple pool filter for mechanical, bio-reactor for bio,air pump for air stones and biorector, some pumps for circulation, electric heater and controller for heat, drip system, and relay box and timers for lights,pumps and heat.

newtankfiltermay15-1.jpg

newtankfiltermay15-2.jpg

newtankfiltermay15-3.jpg

newtankfiltermay15-4.jpg

newtankfiltermay15-5.jpg

Edited by skynoch

Haha, I just had to show my girlfriend the pictures and told her I'm doing this in our house she laughed at me and walked away.

Ps. Did anyone else see the reflection of you standing without a shirt!! Looks of things your should have kept the gym!! Totally kidding man couldn't resist!boxing.gif

lol hey the camera adds 10 pounds, I thought it was my girlfriend that only noticed.

lol hey the camera adds 10 pounds, I thought it was my girlfriend that only noticed.

Hahaha, I mean what are GF's good for rather then telling us that we need to hit the gym. Love the updated pics!!