2200 gal Ray tank build

skynoch

Nice job on the mechanical and filtration. Very neat work. If the companies I work for saw what mine looks like I'd be outta work. My new set-up will be much neater. Thanks for raising the bar.

I can't wait to see it aquascaped. Its so big it looks bare even with all the monsters you have in it.

lol, it's still not as neat as it should be but a guy gets a little impatient and does a few shortcuts, the rest of my you house can still tell I'm an electrician because all the electrical is half finished.

Thanks again for the huge piece of driftwood I went for a swim last night with the rays and started to do a little aquascaping but really needed someone on the outside to tell me how it looked, so it's not exactly what I wanted yet. Spent almost an hour in there moving stuff around and playing with the rays, quite a cool experience. Also put in the air stones but need to find some suction cups to hold them in place.

I definitely owe you a couple favours now.

Just pay it forward we're all here to help each other. I got it from Brett anyways. So you can thank him. I got the tig from him also. Traded for a sunshine pleco. I think I did OK on that deal also.

Maybe now that the tank is done you can focus on the rest of the house. I am just as bad.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice job on the mechanical and filtration. Very neat work. If the companies I work for saw what mine looks like I'd be outta work. My new set-up will be much neater. Thanks for raising the bar.

I can't wait to see it aquascaped. Its so big it looks bare even with all the monsters you have in it.

lol, it's still not as neat as it should be but a guy gets a little impatient and does a few shortcuts, the rest of my you house can still tell I'm an electrician because all the electrical is half finished.

Thanks again for the huge piece of driftwood I went for a swim last night with the rays and started to do a little aquascaping but really needed someone on the outside to tell me how it looked, so it's not exactly what I wanted yet. Spent almost an hour in there moving stuff around and playing with the rays, quite a cool experience. Also put in the air stones but need to find some suction cups to hold them in place.

you should pick up some these weighted air stones:

http://www.igopro-on...one-p/aqs-1.htm

clear1x1.gif

Asian Air Stone - 4.3cm x 1.5cm

Availability:: Usually Ships in 1 to 2 Business Days

Description clear1x1.gifclear1x1.gifDBox_Border_Left_Top.gifclear1x1.gifDBox_Border_Right_Top.gifclear1x1.gif Aquarium Air Diffuser

Self-weighted to stay on the bottom of your aquarium

Each color level can be adjusted to change the size of the bubbles released

Expandable by combing two or more 4 piece units together.

Not easily broken

Quantity Discount: Buy 7 or more @ $1.50 each. Your shopping cart will reflect the adjusted price after entering the appropriate quantities. clear1x1.gifclear1x1.gif

you should pick up some these weighted air stones:

http://www.igopro-on...one-p/aqs-1.htm

clear1x1.gif

Asian Air Stone - 4.3cm x 1.5cm

Availability:: Usually Ships in 1 to 2 Business Days

Description clear1x1.gifclear1x1.gifDBox_Border_Left_Top.gifclear1x1.gifDBox_Border_Right_Top.gifclear1x1.gif Aquarium Air Diffuser

Self-weighted to stay on the bottom of your aquarium

Each color level can be adjusted to change the size of the bubbles released

Expandable by combing two or more 4 piece units together.

Not easily broken

Quantity Discount: Buy 7 or more @ $1.50 each. Your shopping cart will reflect the adjusted price after entering the appropriate quantities. clear1x1.gifclear1x1.gif

The air diffusers I have stay on the bottom no problem it's just the rays like to move them all over the tank. I'll have to take some pics pf them so I can get some feedback from everyone on here on what to do.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow.

Just wow.

The hobby has advanced so much, this is just amazing. I would never even have THOUGHT of doing something like this. So impressive. /applaud

Dan

Thanks there seem to be alot of people going this way with larger tanks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

*speechless*

:)

i think about 1000 neon tetras or cardinal tetras would look awesome.

now do you clean or do water changes in a tank that big?

I'm thinking that would have been alot cheaper route than the rays. So far I've only cleaned the acrylic once but I've been in the tank a few times. between all the fish and filtration the tank is kept pretty clean. Just looking for a pleco that will work in there as I'm getting a little brown algae build up in some spots on the bottom.

Awesome looking tank. Do you have any humidity isssues in your place with this thing?

Being that the system is a closed loop system and sealed really well a small dehumidifier keeps up no problem.

This tank is awesome and very inspiring.

Just looking for a pleco that will work in there as I'm getting a little brown algae build up in some spots on the bottom.

May I suggest you stay away from Acanthicus adonis and Acanthicus hystrix as these huge bad boys will attack rays if they get to close to the pleco's territory. I had a 8 inch A. adonis that was constantly tearing the disk of my biggest female motoro, before I could relocate the pleco the motoro killed it. I came in one morning and found the A. adonis floating on the surface with a huge hole in it's side. I would also stay away from any Psuedacanthicus sp. as they have similar nasty and huge pectoral spikes that caused all the damage. I will be trying a Scobinancistrus sp. when they become availible.

I now have a 5 inch royal pleco, Panaque nigrolineatus with my motoros. My female motoro is about 13 inches across and she doesn't seem to bother this little pleco. Panaque is a tough genus and they take no crap, but they are also not overly aggressive and this one has not touched any of my rays. They eat lots of algae and they do an awesome job keeping wood polished.

Will

Just looking for a pleco that will work in there as I'm getting a little brown algae build up in some spots on the bottom.

May I suggest you stay away from Acanthicus adonis and Acanthicus hystrix as these huge bad boys will attack rays if they get to close to the pleco's territory. I had a 8 inch A. adonis that was constantly tearing the disk of my biggest female motoro, before I could relocate the pleco the motoro killed it. I came in one morning and found the A. adonis floating on the surface with a huge hole in it's side. I would also stay away from any Psuedacanthicus sp. as they have similar nasty and huge pectoral spikes that caused all the damage. I will be trying a Scobinancistrus sp. when they become availible.

I now have a 5 inch royal pleco, Panaque nigrolineatus with my motoros. My female motoro is about 13 inches across and she doesn't seem to bother this little pleco. Panaque is a tough genus and they take no crap, but they are also not overly aggressive and this one has not touched any of my rays. They eat lots of algae and they do an awesome job keeping wood polished.

Will

Thanks for the heads up on the plecos. I'm completely new to plecos and don't know alot about them so others experiences is very helpful. I have heard good things about royals and rays and have tried a couple panaques but chose wrong and they only ate the shrimp in the tank. I'll need something very large as my female castexi is huge and when pregnant she will pretty much eat anything unless she is very well fed.

Will

when pregnant she will pretty much eat anything unless she is very well fed.

I hear that! My big motoro hunted down and ate 5 six inch Pink tail Chelcius characins in 2 nights!

Have you looked into Pterygoplichthys sp.? Thats the genus with the chocolate pleco and the spotted sailfin pleco. Thing with them is they are relatively cheap when large so if she does hoover one it will not hurt the pocket book so much. They can get up to 40cm and are great algae eaters too. I sometimes come across free ones. If you want one when I do and I'm heading up your way on business you can have it free, but for a little veiwing of the tank of course!

Will

Brett has a sailfin pleco he was looking to get rid of. He asked me if I wanted it the other day. I don't want any plecos in my acrylic tank as they are reported to scratch the acrylic while feeding leaving a hazy look over time.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...