Airation

Treasurechest

I am not sure if this is a stuipid question or not....I am currently running a Fluval 305 in my 46 gallon.....I also have two air rocks.....My husband (who does have more experience than me....) says that the air rocks are overkill and that the filter will put enough air back into the water....Here comes the dumb question...is he right?

He may be right, but its better to be safe then sorry. The filter output will agitate the water and that will give you the gas exchange needed. However depending on how heavily stocked your tank is that may not be enough and then you would need the help of an air stone.

What i did on my tanks is temporarily turn off the air in the tank and if the fish weren't breatheing hard after a couple of hours then it was okay but I have 2 tanks that i do have to add extra air to. If your filter has a spray bar do what you can to get as much surface aggitation as possible. I've seen people put the spray bar out of the water and shooting downwards and it creates an interesting effect with the resulting bubbles.

If it's a planted tank then remember the plants switch to useing oxygen at night so be aware that it might be okay durring the day but not at night.

Good Luck

L

Another question, would be what kind of fish you have in there?? Some fish like plenty of current, others not so much.

I use a Fluval 305 in my 31 gallon and purposely direct the output to the surface so there is a very slight whirlpool affect and surface roll. I have read that its best to have the water roll at the surface to maximize gas exchange. This also helps to keep the surface of the water clean as any films that could build up get sucked under. I use to use an air stone but found it was releasing too much of my CO2 which my plants require.

Too much oxygen in the water is probably never a bad problem to have.

I use a Fluval 305 in my 31 gallon and purposely direct the output to the surface so there is a very slight whirlpool affect and surface roll. I have read that its best to have the water roll at the surface to maximize gas exchange. This also helps to keep the surface of the water clean as any films that could build up get sucked under. I use to use an air stone but found it was releasing too much of my CO2 which my plants require.

Too much oxygen in the water is probably never a bad problem to have.

I have plants and Co2 also, I use 2 canisters with spraybars, 1 at 2 inches below the surface pointed toward the front and 1 at 1 inch above the substrate pointed up and slightly forward to create a rolling effect in the tank. I run my Co2 at 6bbls/sec 24/7 and never had a shortage of oxygen. On a side note, If you don't have plants and like watching bubbles put the air stone in.