New DIY Stand, Canopy for new 50g.

My3KidsDad

Decided to try something different and built our new 50 gallon stand out of Acacia wood flooring from a new weight-spreading design for smaller and medium sized tanks. The idea was to spread the weight out so it does not cut the rug or underlay in time. The stand turned out to be about 80-100 lbs. as Acacia wood is very dense and heavy but if Oak plywood was uses it would be strong and of modest weight. Anyway we needed better lighting too so we built a black-stained oak canopy to house our 120 watt lighting system. Hopefully the plants that need more light will revive and flourish. The plants are beginning to look good and the fish are perky too. Great fun for us here.

This first pic is of the newly transfered 50g. tank from weeks ago.

The next pics are of the tank, stand, and canopy today.

post-3345-127049245704_thumb.jpeg

post-3345-127049257542_thumb.jpeg

post-3345-127049259002_thumb.jpeg

post-3345-12704926115_thumb.jpeg

post-3345-127049263164_thumb.jpeg

post-3345-127049265036_thumb.jpeg

Thankyou for the comments. The next one will be faster.

Will the oak lid be able to stand up to the moisture?

It initially looked like it was going to be a problem but when I put in the glass barrier between the tank and the canopy it stopped getting soaked in humidity. it is now dry inside so it may be ok.

Great looking stand, I love the colour of stain you used. Do you have pics of your glass lid?

I will try to get a pic tomorrow,ok?

Looks fantastic!

Great work.

Boom :boom:

Thanks- coming from you and knowing something of your work that is real nice to hear.

• 3 weeks later...

Had to drill some 2 1/2" holes in each end to enable hot moist air to exit canopy. If this is not enough may add a small fan too.