Jau cat

rudy

Rudy - wow , quite a find. What size are they ? What size tank will you be keeping them in ?? What will you be feeding them ???

Your Paulicea lutkeni, is now know as Zungaro zungaro; renamed in 1998. I did a search and found several other names, used in the collection.

First is was called a Brachyplatystoma flavicans, up to 1979; in 1964 it was referred to as Pseudopimelodus zungaro. Then in 1979 is was collected as Paulicea lutkeni.

Today, it is refereed to as Zungaro zungaro, 1998.

Family: Pimelodidae (Long=whiskered catfishes).

Order: Siluriformes

Class: Actinopterygii (ray-finned fishes).

Distributiion: South America: Amazon and Orinoco River basins.

Here is a link:

http://www.fishbase.org.ph/webservice/Spec...species=zungaro

If it is similar, in behaviuor, as the Phractocephalus hemilopterus, the Redtail catfish; keep track of your fingers. They have incredabley sharp teeth and know how to use them !!! :rolleyes:

As HOSStile mentioned, they do have a reputation > as small-mammel eaters. The Jau, like the Redtail, has the ability to "INHALE" their prey; live.

Very interesing catfish.

You will have to keep us up-to-date on your expierences.

Good luck.... :smokey:

Smokey

B)

Actually Smokey I think.....the Zungaro Zungaro title was given back to Psuedopimelodus bufonis. Giant bumblebee cat (which I also have).

I am very unclear on this though as every time I read something I read something else contradicting this.

Anyway I am very excited to have one. Few do. Probably a reason for that.

I am destined to silicone my basement with my cat collection.

Rudy, you may be correct. The names of fish seem to change daily! It can be so frustrating.......the search engines kept showing the Jau as Z.Z.

However, what-ever it may be refered to, it is incrediable find.

Smokey

B)