Questions about acrylic/plexigass

Fergy

I know this isn't 100% "fish" related, but it is aquarium related, and there's fish in there... so here's what I'm wondering about.

I'm planning on building an above tank basking area for my turtle. I want to do the four walls all acrylic/plexiglass or some other similar material. The base that will actually be basked on will be egg crate.

My main question is the heat lamp with the plexi/whatever. Has anyone done anything like this? I know plexi will sag with lamps directly on top, but these will be vertical walls and not taking the full light from the lamp. Do you think there will still be sagging? I'm pretty sure the egg crate will take the heat fine, I've seen it used successfully for this purpose in others setups.

Another question about the plexi for anyone with experience would be how to create the box. Is there an adhesive that will weld the pieces together? Is drilling it and using 'L' brackets a better way? What about bracing, will it be strong enough without any?

If anyone has any experience with this material, or any recommendations I would really appreciate it!

I built a 33 gal tank out of acrylic using Weldon-16, and just braced all joints with a 1.5" strip of acrylic. The heat lamp may cause the verticle walls to sag, so you will have to keep an eye on things.

Do you mean you just covered the seam on the outside? Or you put another strip on the inside?

And how about for size, would 1/4" be overkill since it's not holding water, or would that be a better to have a thicker sheet for the heat?

I think 1/4" would be fine. I laid the 1st strip on the inside, but in a couple spots, I didn't get a proper seal, so I ran a strip on the outside on those joints, too. It was a rush job, and doesn't look pretty - I have a feeling that it will end up as a reptile tank.

To avoid my mistakes, make sure to sand your edges and make sure they're completely strait before you glue them together.

Thanks for the tips! I'm not TOO concerned about the appearance, I pretty much just need something to add more water volume while preventing escapes. Bugger sure can climb.

And as for where to purchase it.. I assume that any Rona/Home Depot type stores will carry it, along with the Weld-On? Anyone know if they will cut a sheet to your measurements for you as well?

I've had to order Weldon in the past - I can only find certain types at some of the plastics shops around town. I'm guessing the Plexi can be picked up at HD - I had a 4x4' sheet at work they were going to throw out.

Great, thanks for the info guys. I priced out some sheets over the phone at Rona and HD, but I'll probably have to go down there in person. The stuff they were looking at at HD was 2X the price I was quoted at Rona, so something's not quite right. It was just under 70$ for a 4'x4'x6mm at Rona.

Rona also told me over the phone they didn't think they could cut it for me in-store, when I end up going down there I'll check again. But, with limited tools (very old wood saws, basically) I don't think I could cut it myself.. And I've read you shouldn't score and break plexi over 1/8", any truth to that?

For the weldon, jvision you said you used #16? That's the strongest without requiring mixing it looks like, and since it's not in contact with the water I shouldn't have to worry about leaching?